Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

option to open assembly 'as built'

option to open assembly 'as built'

I like to open an assembly where all children are the versions at the time when the assembly version was created.

In this way I can view at a version of an assembly how it looked like when it was created. Later versions of the children (parts or assemblies) are ignored.

6 Comments
ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted
I am assuming you are using Vault Basic. Have you taken a look at Revisions in the higher level products?
tmoney2007
Collaborator

Open as of <Date> could be a cool feature...

Cadmanto
Mentor

This seems to explain the option called "Labels" with vault Pro.

I work with vault workgroup and this option is not there.  I have worked with other PDM softwares

and there were options to open assemblies either in the current state or the "As Built" state.

This is an option that should be in ALL vault versions.

Not seeing what the "Revisions" settingf has anything to do with this idea.  Those seem to be nothing more then what you want your revision to look like.  Whether it is alpha or numeric.

francisco.perez-smith
Contributor

Disclaimer: This idea had been posed in 2012 by Maarten65 and commented on by tmoney2007. I am rearticulating and reposting it as I believe it merits consideration.

The Present Situation:

Users wishing to open an assembly "as-built" are unable to do so if changes have been made to its parts; that is, changes made to the parts are propagated to the released assembly.

An example of this is below.

• A vault contains an assembly (Revision 2).
  • This assembly consists of parts, each also Revision 2.
  • The assembly file is released, preventing changes being made to it.
  • Changes are then made to its parts - either by creating a new versions or by uprevving to Revision 3.
  • The user opens the released assembly, but now see the assembly with the latest part revisions (i.e. not "as-built").

In this way, the user is unable to see the assembly's Revision 2 "as-built". Despite being locked-down in the released state, changes could be affected.

The Idea:

Some solutions to this problem could be to:

• Have Vault remember the versions & revisions of all parts used at the time that the assembly is released, and recall these when opened.
    • e.g. 1 - Opening the released Revision 2 of the assembly would show it with all of its Revision 2 parts.
    • e.g. 2 - Opening the WIP Revision 3 of the assembly would show it with all of the latest parts, until it is released.
  • Allow users to open an assembly "As of <Date>" (tmoney2007's idea)

This functionality could be extended to derivatives of assemblies, such as drawings, etc.

`

Tags (1)
Elisabeth_Boehm
Autodesk Support

Good day,

the cause is:

- when open the file in Revision 2, then write Autodesk Vault the file in the defined workingfolder.

- when open the file in Revision 3, then write Autodesk Vault the file in the same workingfolder.

- when all is in the same workingfolder, Inentor could not handle this in the moment.

an example for an Workaround is:

- use different folder inside the Vault workingfolder.

configure the Vault Workingfolder so, that the Revision 2 use (e.G. view folder) 
  and go back to the normal defined workingfolder for checkout the Revision 3.

- When file Revision 2 and file Revision 3 are in different folders, then Inventor can handle this.

Best regards,

Elisabeth Böhm

Technical Support Team

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived

With Vault Professional, you can open the assembly based on the way it was built or released by revision. You need to make sure you are opening using the Revision option and not opening using the Lastest optionl

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report