Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Numbering Schemes (Sequential Numbers)

Numbering Schemes (Sequential Numbers)

We have a company numbering scheme to mirror into Vault.  The numbering scheme has been historical to our company procedures for many years and we wanted the same scheme used in the Vault.  The scheme requires a number of different prefixes to help categorise the Drawings / Documents, then every Drawing / Document has a different Sequential number. However the software only allows a new seq.no if all the prefixes are the same.  I would have thought our proposed scheme was a fairly standard way of setting up a numbering scheme. Please rectify for future releases.

5 Comments
tmoney2007
Collaborator

From what I've heard, ANSI drawing standards recommend non-intelligent numbering, so it might be a hard sale to get this included.

On a positive note, you can start planting the seeds of revolution.  Just have a property for Drawing/Document category and have your users fill it out (you can set up the list in Vault).  The drawing number doesn't NEED to be anything but a unique identifier (like a key field in a database).  It doesn't need to contain any additional information.

A bonus is that you can just use the english word for the category instead of some abbreviation or code that people have to be taught to decipher.

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted
Can you try to use the new Vault Data Standard utility to see if you can build a number scheme in the way your are outlining?
ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived

kbagnall77KVD
Participant

Is there a tutorial for how to implement this in Vault Data Standard? I would like to do something similar.

ihayesjr
Community Manager

@kbagnall77KVD There are several AU classes that could help.

Search | Autodesk University

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report