Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a "Restore Version 'n' to 'Latest' Version" Function

Need a "Restore Version 'n' to 'Latest' Version" Function

In Vault Explorer I want to be able to select an older version of a file in the preview pane or the grid and "restore" it to the latest version. If it's an assembly I would need the option of choosing only the assy file OR choosing associated sub-files. This will allow me to roll-back a design file to a previous design state.

This is important because it will allow me to more easily explore design studies and "roll-back" to a preferred design.

Currently we can use a label but a label applies to an entire folder rather than just one or more files. This would almost certainly cause me to unintentioanlly change other engineers' files.

7 Comments
obourne
Advocate

Just to clarify, I know there is a work around but it is convoluted and confuses most users.

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

mark.wigan
Observer

hello, just checking in to see if anyone has sorted this yet. we have been waiting for a while now...

tmoney2007
Collaborator

The way that I've found isn't that bad (for inventor at least).

Open the previous version from the client with it still checked out. Check out the file, making sure to say no to anything that asks about refreshing the file, then check it back in.  

This should be as simple as a button though.

YounesYammouri
Community Manager

Will a command File Rollback Lifecycle State Change help you with your workflow similar to Item Rollback Lifecycle State Change?

See Vault help for details:http://help.autodesk.com/view/VAULT/2015/ENU/?guid=GUID-A83D54E2-423A-450E-A6A5-4C6AEAD86F72)

Thanks

Younes

YounesYammouri
Community Manager

here is a video showing how you can make a previous version the current version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swV6Zg1gJZQ

eric_schubert2
Advocate

I know this thread is older, but the "Get" on an old version, then check out and check in doesn't appear to work in Vault Pro 2020 or newer as a way to replace the current version with a previous version.

The method we found that works was mentioned in the forums in 2018, and it's just stupidly-named.

If you "Get" the old version locally, then open it in Inventor with the standard Open command.  You can right-click on the item in your Vault browser and choose to "Revert to Latest".  It will check that file out and push it back into Vault as the new current version, thereby reverting to the old version of the model.

But that wording is just atrocious.  It makes it seem like it'll replace the old version in Inventor with what Vault currently uses as the newest version of the file.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report