Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local Admins for every locations

Local Admins for every locations

I like to create local admins. These are users which are leadings on the  locations. (read countries) 

We have five different countries connected to one database.

The five local admins should be able to:

1) Delete files, even if older versions exists. Or have dwf files attached to it.
2) Synchronize file properties when the jobserver ignored the file. (Should I set user security to write/edit enable in all states?)
3) Remove job from queue, either if still waiting for the job processor or in the list of jobs with an error.

These local admins must NOT be able to

1) change vault settings
2) change global settings

We have one Vault admin who is responsible for the Vault itself. (Life cycles, properies definitions, indexing, creating users and groups, etc)

11 Comments
ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration
Maarten65, thanks for submitting this idea. We will review this request as we look to improve our user roles and permissions in the future.
thomas.helm
Participant

In larger customer environments it would not be possible for one person to maintain the vault configuration. The idea will be to have the possibility to restrict specific admin tasks to specific user / groups. E.g. local admins should be able to add a new user to Vault and assign them to a specific folder where the user should have access. But the local admin should have no permissions to change the global lifecycle definition or behaviors like this.

LOONYLEN
Advocate

The Vault needs to have a sub-administrative level to give rights to users without giving the keys to the entire Vault away (some rights can only be held by the Administrator).

For instance, “Enforce Unique File Names”, file deletion, management of Categories, Lifecycles and states.

Also, a great enhancement would be to allow FULL ADMIN rights to only a portion or defined area of the Vault, through individual or user group rights.

The fact that Vault does not have this capability is extremely frustrating.

LOONYLEN
Advocate

The Vault needs to have sub-administrative level permissions to give rights to users without giving the keys to the entire Vault away (some rights can only be held by the Administrator).

For instance, “Enforce Unique File Names”, file deletion, management of Categories, Lifecycles and states.

Also, a great enhancement would be to allow FULL ADMIN rights to only a portion or defined area of the Vault, through individual or user group rights. For example: Content Center file deletion permissions.

The fact that Vault does not have this capability is extremely frustrating, as the I.T. department (at my company) is responsible for ProductStream and thus, Vault, but they have a limited understanding of the Vault and further more, limited time for the everyday user with "Please unlock this file" issues. They refuse to grant me Admin permissions (I'm the Cad Admin!?!), because that would mean giving up access to the entire Vault, it's servers and other "Behinde the scenes" access that they do not wish me to have.

All that I really need is access to categories, lifecycles, states, enforce unique file names, file deletion, remove reservation, revision schemes, oh wait, that's almost everything right? Maybe the issue is with my I.T. department...

Help!

LOONYLEN
Advocate

If anyone knows of a way of doing this with the tools that come with Vault productstream already, please let me hear your comments. Did I set up my Vault incorrectly???

I'm guessing that I've set up my Vault incorrectly and this is why I haven't received any Kudos for this idea.

Please help. 

tmoney2007
Collaborator

I agree with this,... a couple hundred users creating content in a vault means that we could really use the ability to give unconditional delete to certain users, but we can't allow them to have configuration control.

User configurable roles would be nice...

tmoney2007
Collaborator

Nope, its not possible.  I've looked into it.  Even if they have delete privileges at a particular lifecycle state, they won't have unconditional delete (files that have been released and files with historical versions related to other files).

I'm with you on this.

YounesYammouri
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted

YounesYammouri
Community Manager

The product development team is considering the feedback of the community and have implemented some of this feedback in the development pipeline. You are encouraged to join the Autodesk Vault beta program to get a view into what’s being implemented regarding new admin roles. We appreciate your feedback.

Thanks 

Younes Yammouri

Autodesk Vault Product Manager

YounesYammouri
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented

This request has been implemented with Autodesk Vault Workgroup and Professional 2018. Check Out the Autodesk Vault 2018 help:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/VAULT/2018/ENU/?guid=GUID-DD071BFB-45AC-4157-9660-2370EFA9B844

Younes Yammouri

tbergen
Advocate

Adding Site control for users and categories.

Only allowing certain users to see and use certain categories - for file folders and items

Including site admin control versus global admin control. 

Multi-site environments can be a daunting task.  It would be more effective to build some tools around this that include. 

Adding a site selection to each user profile.

Creating a different project folder set-up based on the users site.

Hide any categories that are not site specific or specific to the category both within vault and within add-in's.

Setting up global categories for all users. 

There's alot of setup options and with datastandards or api programming this can all be done. However; to make this happen I'm currently having to read the domain groups of each user. Be nice to at least get a site selection on the User and some way of setting categories as site specific or global. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report