Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job Queue priority settings

Job Queue priority settings

Give the Vault administrator the ability to set fixed priority values for specific job types.  For example, DWF generate jobs could be set to always have a priority of 100, regardless of how they got added to the job queue.

25 Comments
Maarten65
Advocate

- filter jobservers, only see the ones of your location.
- filter messages, errors have a severity number.
For example:
"Sync properties not allowed on non-tip versions" = 2
"A visualization file cannot be generated for a non CAD file" = 3
"Error updating file links" = 4
"The server is currently busy.  Please try your operation again.;" = 4
"Unknown error during publish." = 4

By creating a filter you can supress other jobservers and only see the most important messages. (for example > 2)

Tags (2)
carrie.ruan
Alumni

we have support the function by sort and filter with column.

- filter jobservers, only see the ones of your location---Sort & filter by column 'Job Processor'
- filter messages, errors have a severity number---Sort & filter by column 'Result'

Regards,

Carrie

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

ryan
Collaborator

It is vital that this functionality get added to Vault.  In particular, the administrator should have the ability to set the priority for each State Transition (please see attached screenshot).

Unfortunately, with the current behaviour of Vault, the creation of a DWF file on a state transition has a lower priority than a DWF creation on check-in so Released DWF files get pushed further and further down the Job Queue.

Therefore,  since you'd be hard pressed to find a manufacturing company that does not want their Released DWF files to be created first, either change the default priorities or better yet, give us the ability to administratively define (so that Transition to Released could be before say Transition to Review).

-Ryan

Job Processor Priority - Admin Control.png

ShayaGhanbar
Advocate

Autodesk guys, any update on the status of "Job Queue Priority Settings"? This was requested back in 2012!

KevinPfeifer3228
Contributor

Definitely need this, we really need the ability to specify the order a job gets processed on transition, for example custom job, then sync properties, then create visualization and pdf!

mrawesomelemons
Enthusiast

I want to modify the Job priority of the Job processor. Sometimes I release a file that I'm working with and I want those jobs to pass through the processor first.

stefan.sutter
Explorer

I think so too, that it is important that this functionality – that the administrator should have the possibility to set the priority for each Job for the Jobprocessor - get added to Vault.

In some cases, the current situation is ok. However, in our case, the Jobprocessor should first do the jobs which changes properties, and afterwards the jobs for publishing some files. Otherwise, the published files are wrong.

Thanks a lot to implement this feature soon!

Stefan

n.saremba
Enthusiast

we really need that very urgently

tschaeferZNBXX
Advisor
This is needed very badly for many customers, including our company. We have over 300 users that are checking files in and out around the globe. Yes each site has a Job Processor but the Sync of properties always being 100 and having to be done prior to PDF is causing major issues. I agree with the sync of properties prior but I think the priority is backwards, meaning DWF creation should be 100 and SYNC priority 10. This will solve a lot of the issue with waiting for PDF creation.
Maarten65
Advocate
I agree with the sync of properties prior but I think the priority is backwards, meaning DWF creation should be 100 and SYNC priority 10. This will solve a lot of the issue with waiting for PDF creation

This was one of the reasons we use Naviate, a product of Symetri. This tool has many handy features for job processors.  One of them is it gives me full control over the priority of all job processors tasks. Sync properties is very high while creating 3D PDF is very low. And all others in between. Autodesk should buy this product fomr Symetri, it must be part of the Vault product.

Maarten

(no commercial connections with Symetri, just a happy user)

ShayaGhanbar
Advocate

I believe when this thread started, job queue priority was an add on to a wish list. Now that more and more users are using the Job Server capabilities, job queue priority is becoming an issue.

Since the last time we heard a feedback from an Autodesk representative regarding this thread was in 2012, I think it's time to create a support case with Autodesk. Support cases are taken more seriously as long as we can make a business case. 

CrAzY-MiKe
Collaborator

It has been 10 months since the last comment on this thread and SEVEN AND A HALF YEARS SINCE ITS CREATION.

There are many words available to express my frustration, none of them sufficiently adequate nor will I inflict them on my fellow users.

I have been a continuous user of AutoCAD since Release 9 in 1987 (31 years), and Inventor and Vault since 2005 (15 years). I have developed custom code in both LISP and iLogic and am dipping a toe into PowerShell now to try to get around this limitation.

7 1/2 years, Autodesk!  You went from nothing to a major player in that much time. PLEASE, at least let us know whether or not you are working on this issue, the importance of which cannot be overstated as technology speeds up every other process in our business models.

W. Michael Hollingsworth

CAD Administrator | Flexicon Corporation

ThomasRambach
Advisor

It would be nice for admins to have the ability to change the priority of jobs already in the job queue. This would be helpful to get priority jobs completed on demand when the job queue is backed up with other large jobs.

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

UBNTI
Advocate

Hi,

whats about it?

bryan
Enthusiast

Do we have a timeline when this will be fixed? Seems to be a pretty important item, and shouldn't be that difficult to achieve either.

Thanks,

Brandon Ryan

ihayesjr
Community Manager

@bryan 

As we state in the Idea Board Guidelines:

Disclaimer: The development, release, and timing of any features or functionality described for our products remains at our sole discretion. This information is not a commitment, promise or legal obligation to deliver any functionality, is intended solely to outline our general product direction, and should not be relied on in making a purchasing decision.” 

Hunteil
Collaborator

I would like to request a change to the job queue. I would like to see a way to advance a job in the job queue to a higher priority. This would only change the priority for task in que and allow it to finish the current task it's already processing.

In our situation, we have a Job Processor, auto-exporting files to different formats and checking them in for the factory to use. And sometimes the que will reach up to 300 tasks and process for hours. And in these situations, if we're working on something and we need it to trigger sooner than everything else. We're essentially stuck waiting for our tasks to catch up. In this case, we also export idw's to plain AutoCAD documents, check them in and match properties to a series of rules.

This would be really helpful for jobs that are super hot like customer site drawings due at noon or whatever like that. Maybe even Engineering change orders. This could have us hours of waiting time.

PS: I would make this a admin only permission to prevent people from moving things around and messing up order of operations.

ihayesjr
Community Manager

@Hunteil 

Thanks for posting the idea. What you are really asking is the ability to change the job's order in the queue, correct?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report