Vault IdeaStation
Share your wish list directly with the Autodesk Vault Development Team
7 Kudos
tmoney2007

Item Master Improvements

by Distinguished Contributor tmoney2007 on ‎02-07-2013 08:31 PM

When it is being sold as the integration point for Vault, the Item Master is inadequate.

First, lifecycles for items should be as configurable as for files.  If you use the system as intended and control the lifecycle of the file through the item, you are severely constricted.

Items should assume the properties of the files that created them, or they should be easily called through the API.

Given the possibility that an item could be created before the CAD representation exists, there needs to be an ability to attach a CAD file as a representation of an item after the item has been created (this is also a huge hurdle if a company converts a product from 2D to 3D).

Document item types should exist so that external applications can reference and control files that don't represent parts.

OR do away with the item master and integrate the BOM capabilities (for 2D and 3D) of item master into the file interface and do away with item master altogether.

This would probably help with any plm integration, PLM360 included.

Comments
by Board Manager on ‎02-11-2013 12:05 PM
Status changed to: Under Review

by *Expert Elite* on ‎02-14-2013 08:44 AM

I agree with some of this, there definitely needs to be more interaction between File and Item.  I've gone back and forth for a year playing with this, and came up with a system that sets the revision on the file and sends it to the Item, only so I could use the Item Visualizations with the Watermark.  If not for that I wouldn't use Item Master at all... until Acad Electrical came along and didn't give me a choice!  I think the the 2 personalities of Vault need to work and play better together, or be molded into one that has the best characteristics of each.

by Contributor RPdAnjou on ‎03-27-2013 12:14 AM

I agree with most of it.

Items are the main reference where all the documentation needed to produce the Item should be linked to.

Thereby this Item needs to be as flexible as possible.

Configuration should be flexible also.

As I stated a few times before, take a look at your old product "Productstream Pro" and learn from it!

by Employee on ‎04-17-2013 01:58 PM
Status changed to: Comments Requested

by Board Manager on ‎09-08-2014 01:59 PM

There are many features like configurable lifecycle for Items implemented now in Vault 2015 R2. Please check the following link for more details: http://help.autodesk.com/view/VAULT/2015/ENU/?guid=GUID-0ADFC21B-C4E7-4197-A753-3132304F869D.

Best regards

Younes

by Board Manager on ‎09-08-2014 01:59 PM
Status changed to: Implemented

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

New Idea
You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea
Top Kudoed Authors