Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

functionality review ability to take ownership when (remote) server is down

functionality review ability to take ownership when (remote) server is down

for consideration ;

in our operation we have seen some file / folder ownership management problems  (inability to take ownership) seen between relicated servers. ie a remote server is down = no way to transfer ownership to other servers / sites.

i think there is the need to have some improved functionality on this topic and other general topics relating to the replicated environment.

is it sufficient to accept that if a remote server is down that there is no way ever to get ownership back of files back? despite very short or zero lease times etc etc.

i would have thought that the provider server would be able to force ownership back to itself or other server if the files were not checked out. i have searched to no avail & also have been advised by our VAR group that we cannot do this.

if that is the case then i feel that with some consideration of improved functional development that this would be possible or at the least have something along the lines of automatical ownership transfer configure to send ownership from remote sites after hours, back to the server who owns the files again before business resumes the next day. that way if a site does not boot up at the start of business, the other remote servers have the choice to take ownership if it is urgent.

this may not be the answer but with sensible discussion and development there may be solutions to the situations that could arise.

6 Comments
Mark_Wigan
Collaborator

there is another consideration to this request that i would like to put on the table...

if the job processor is running property synchonisation and generation of dwf files etc, it will error out if it sees a file that is owned by another server.

i believe that if a file is in the released life cycle state, then it should be permitted to be processed despite which server has ownership.

for example, if we have setup task scheduler to run job processor after hours then we may have only one replicated site running job processor. that sire should be able to successfully process all files that are released.

obviously this additional consideration falls into the other topics raised about job processor functionality, but the two ideas would need to be dealt with by the one team of developers to be successful. (so in light of that perhaps i will try to tie the two ideas together with hyperlinks)

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Vault-IdeaStation/job-processor-causing-more-significant-effe...

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Anonymous
Not applicable

I totally agree with this request.

In my organization we have a Publisher and several subscribers all geographically remote.  The database replicates close enough to real time, and the filestore replicates overnight with each subscriber having a complete copy of the filestore.   All work is done on the subscribers, and the sites assist each other, so ownership can be scattered.  In normal production, each user logs onto their local subscriber.

All is working well, except in a business continuity scenario when a subscriber is offline for an extended period.

The scenario is that although each site has a copy of the drawings or documents, if the site "owning" the drawing is offline (or not visible to the other servers) then it cannot release documents/drawings to be worked on from an alternate subscriber.

The configuration as it stands means we cannot meet our business continuity requirements.

I agree the publisher should be able to obtain ownership regardless of the state of the subscriber server that's offline. The complexity would be when the offline/off-network subscriber comes back on online/on-network and when updates were done on both the publisher and the subscriber.  There would need to be parameters to control the scenario. 

iqbal_lotey
Enthusiast

In our scenario, one subscriber is located in an area with flakey internet connectivity.  When the connection is down, we run into the ownership transfer problem.  A simple way to alleviate this would be to have some option to automatically transfer ownership of non-checked out files and folders back to the publisher site.  This could be run at a set interval, or automatically upon check in.

Senthil_Kumar
Autodesk
Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly- it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes. We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know. - Vault product team
Senthil_Kumar
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report