Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enhance Option "Disable Check In of Design Files"

Enhance Option "Disable Check In of Design Files"

Currently the Option "Disable Check In of Design Files" is all or none.

Give the Administrator the abilty to choose the filetype that is enforced by this option so it is not all or none

20 Comments
jeff_jordan
Advocate

For those who use .dat files outside of Autodesk products, it is a major productivity hindrance to have to rename or zip the files so they can be added to Vault, and another hindrance when checking the files out for change since in order to use them, you will have to rename them back.

wengerbryan
Enthusiast

The inability to define what types of files are design files presents a serious problem for our company as well.  There are several file types that we have difficulty checking into vault for this reason.  Let's get this changed.

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

AndrewPawelski
Enthusiast

We also have a constant issue with this as our Sales team, who is required to load AutoCAD data from our customers, cannot do this because they don't have AutoCAD. This setting should allow different control for AutoCAD versus Inventor files, or at a minimum DWG versus IAM/IPT.

pvpatel
Enthusiast

We are using AutoCAD Electrical 2019 & Vault 2019; and this issue still hasn't been resolved.

We are unable to check in the .dat file when "Disable check in of design files" is enabled in Vault. 

Michael_Riemer
Enthusiast

With the added changes of Vault 2019 to this feature we are now also facing problems with the all or nothing setting of this option. For example the file format prt is used by different CAD tools of which not all are supported by a Vault AddIn. Using Vault together with these CAD tools is not possible at all now while still maintaining the disable checkbox for Inventor file formats.

It would be very much appreciated to allow a selection to be attached to the disable checkbox.

On recommendation of out support contact at Autodesk I have created a new idea suggestion for the topic as this one was created by an Autodesk employee. Please see and vote: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/vault-ideas/differentiation-of-file-formats-when-using-quot-disable-c...

Michael_Riemer
Enthusiast

With the added changes of Vault 2019 to the "Disable Check In of Design Files" feature we are now facing problems with the all or nothing setting of this option.

For example the file format prt is used by different CAD tools of which not all are supported by a Vault AddIn. Using Vault together with these CAD tools is not possible at all now while still maintaining the disable checkbox for Inventor file formats.

It would be very much appreciated to allow a selection to be attached to the disable checkbox where control is given to the user/admin about which file formats can be checked in directly and which only via the CAD tool + AddIn.

Michael_Riemer
Enthusiast

I just found out that this was already suggested years ago by an Autodesk employee: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/vault-ideas/enhance-option-quot-disable-check-in-of-design-files-quot...

It is sad that Autodesk knows about incomplete features but does not fix them...

karsten.zimmer
Explorer

Its really a pain to use or not use that option since it is so binary.

A list of file extensions (from which you can choose to allow or deny, or just list the file extension you want to be blocked) would definitively be more beneficial.

Also please not forget: If Autodesk Vault Office Thin Client is enabled you can check in any file without any check. Even if in the Vault Professional client it is choosen to "Disable Check In of Design Files", the vault office thin client still can check in any file. Any update on that "Disable Check In of Design Files" should also reflect in the thin client.

karsten.zimmer
Explorer

Clarification: I mean the vault thin client with vault office license. (without the vault office license, the thin client can only view)

RajSchmidt
Collaborator

I’m not sure how exactly this feature works. Does it only check the file extension?

If so, why not making this tool far more versatile? Rename the option to “Disable Check In of certain file types”. And let the admin provide a list of file extensions which must can’t be checked in by drag & drop. I had the case already where I wanted DWGs dragged into the Vault but Inventor files not.

Sure, if the admin puts stuff like JPG or PDF into the list it might cause problems. But that’s in his hands then.

karthur1
Mentor

It would be much better if the Vault administrator could set what file extensions could be checked in without the appropriate application.  Now in 2020, when we try to check in a .pro file it will not allow it because Vault things this is a Pro/E file....... which it is not.  We do not use Pro/E here, but it is a PLC program that our controls group uses.

Now, I am forced to uncheck this box and users may now drag-drop Inventor files into Vault.  Not a good pratice, but that is what we are forced to do.

karthur1
Mentor

It would be much better if the Vault administrator could set what file extensions could be checked in without the appropriate application.  Now in 2020, when we try to check in a .pro file it will not allow it because Vault things this is a Pro/E file....... which it is not.  We do not use Pro/E here, but it is a PLC program that our controls group uses.

Now, I am forced to uncheck this box and users may now drag-drop Inventor files into Vault.  Not a good pratice, but that is what we are forced to do.

2019-09-16_0702.png

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

limin.chung
Autodesk

Hi, 

Thanks for the feedback. Some possible solutions for this idea are currently under discussion on the NDA based Vault Feedback/Beta forums. If you would like to contribute/validate then please apply for access using this link:

Regards,

Limin

kent_wold
Enthusiast

This is a hindrance now here as well. 

Granular control is something ACAD normally does well and Inventor is good at why would you not add that to this part of Vault? 

DGN files are part of our clientele's needs and we need to store them on occasion with no Vault add-in to Microstation? Makes it tough.

izzyloh
Enthusiast

I'd also like to add to the list of complaints. We're using Vault alongside Civil 3D. Vault holds all our support file paths (i.e., assets). Works great for templates, linetypes, what have you. But I get hung up on not being able to push our parts catalog into vault because it's contained in an .APC file which I don't know how to Check-In... looking forward to an update/fix!

brendan.mulcahy
Explorer

With our recent upgrade to Vault 2020, we've noted how there are now more file extensions classed as Design Files, thereby invoking the "File Cannot Be Added" pop-up when dragging/dropping files into Vault.  These extensions go beyond .dwg and include .nwd and .dat which have caused us significant workflow issues.  Switching this restriction off as an administrator is too blunt in its current form as it would remove the restriction for files that still require it, particularly .dwgs.  

As such, can administrators have a list of file extensions that they can tick on and off to be subject to the Design File check in restriction as this would allow targeted and flexible application of this function?

YounesYammouri
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted

Senthil_Kumar
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This is now implemented with Vault 2023 Release. Please check this What's new video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BSQ3u__neg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report