Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Object Linking to Files

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
mark.cloyed
581 Views, 9 Replies

Custom Object Linking to Files

Custom objects can have as their contents, a link to a file, but the file does not show a link back to a custom object.  It would be valuable to create a two-directional link between a file and a custom object, so that we can see both what files have been associated with a custom obect and at the file level, what custom objects have been associated to that file.  As an example, one client would like to create a custom object for each of their outside contractors.  When a contractor is sent a file for modification, we would like to create a link between that file and the contractor.  Now, we can go to the contractor and see what files they control,  but we cannot go to a file and see how many contractors have received that file.  This would be valuable to know.

Thanks,
Mark

Regards,
Mark Cloyed
IMAGINiT Technologies
Labels (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

This is already possible today. Here are the steps: 1. Select the file, 2. go to the Tab "Where Used" 3. Make sure the Filter for the custom object e,g. contractor is checked 4. Select Expand all as a results you will see the linked custom object in this case the linked contractors to the specific file

Younes Yammouri

Product Manager
Message 3 of 10
jan.klein
in reply to: YounesYammouri

Hi @YounesYammouri what do you mean with "filter" is checked.  Where are you checking this at the custom object?

@YounesYammouri wrote:
This is already possible today. Here are the steps: 1. Select the file, 2. go to the Tab "Where Used" 3. Make sure the Filter for the custom object e,g. contractor is checked 4. Select Expand all as a results you will see the linked custom object in this case the linked contractors to the specific file

BR,

Jan

Tags (2)
Message 4 of 10
YounesYammouri
in reply to: jan.klein

@jan.klein , I mean in the Where Used Tab open the Content Filter and choose the custom object you created. In the example I attached the custom object is called "Field Issues":

Where Used - Content FilterWhere Used - Content Filter

Younes Yammouri

Product Manager
Message 5 of 10

Hi Younes,

Thank you for the responses.  I did not see the filter before, but do now see how to enable the display of custom objects.  

Regards,

Mark

Regards,
Mark Cloyed
IMAGINiT Technologies
Message 6 of 10
jan.klein

@YounesYammouri 

thanks for your answer but I´m actually looking for that filter/ option in the item world.

There is no filter available.

Any idea how to get that filter option also in the item master?

Message 7 of 10
YounesYammouri

@jan.klein , can you please elaborate a bit on the workflow you are trying to achieve, so I can understand what you mean with filter in Item master. 

This current thread was about custom object and links to files.

Thanks

Younes

Younes Yammouri

Product Manager
Message 8 of 10
jan.klein

@YounesYammouri 

I might need to open new post about this since I´m actually looking for the same matter but for items instead of files.

I use custom objects to manage our suppliers and link items to the suppliers in order to have a overview which supplier provides which part. There might be many supplier for the same part. 

Currently there is no option to see directly from the item to which supplier it´s linked. And I was wondering if this is possible to implement.

Hope my use case is more clear.

Cheers,

Jan

Message 9 of 10
YounesYammouri

@jan.klein now I understand what you are looking for. As of now unfortunately this can be only achieved with custom code, additional Tab in the Item Master to display associated custom object (e.g. Suppliers).

Please use the Vault ideas forum for any product enhancements suggestions/ requests: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/vault-ideas. Other customers and users can vote as well as comment on it. The Vault product team is monitoring the Vault ideas forum and have a process in place based on several criteria to address those requests/ suggestions in future releases.

Thanks again for your engagement in the Vault forum

Younes

Younes Yammouri

Product Manager
Message 10 of 10
jan.klein

Cheers!

will do that.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report