Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create New Roles and/or Modify Permissions

Create New Roles and/or Modify Permissions

You can only select roles which has certain permissions, but you cannot assign a certain permission to a role.

It may be more flexible if you can create new roles and add permissions, or modify existing role permissions with UI (something like a spreadsheet format and able to change settings by clicking)

30 Comments
m_simons
Enthusiast

As I have recently posted on the discussion boards, I was extremely disenchanted with Vault when I discovered that user 'permissions' and roles couldn't be customized. I think it's even assumed that software of this nature comes with this functionality. It would behoove AutoDesk to add this feature to Vault.

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted

tmoney2007
Collaborator

The ability to create custom roles would be helpful.

Disallowing people from creating folders (except for table driven members) would make managing the organization of the CAD data much easier.

Being able to separate certain administrative tasks (creating users, unconditional deleting of files) from the configuration administration features would make it easier for a non-IT person to do lower level data maintenance without allowing them to modify all configurations.

In general, having fixed roles and priviledges doesn't allow the flexibility that some businesses require.

mark.cloyed
Collaborator

I am working with a client that would like to control the users' ability to create folders.  They feel that their user base will not limit the depth of levels, so that the vault will quickly have 10 + levels deep of folders.  They would like to have the ability to remove this privilege from their users, so that a particular few can create folder structure for the rest of the organization.

Thanks,

Mark

axi92
Contributor

First i thought it was a bug, but its a feature -.-

Such a Software like Vault and no custom groups/role.

Can't be difficult to make user defined roles and is much more easy to configure as an admin.

jdkriek
Advisor

I agree with everyone, this is something I constantly get asked about with every new version.

It's also extermely frustrating to me and all my users.

jalanp1955
Contributor

It would be nice to be able to customize the roles in Vault.There are rights that I would like to give the average user but cannot. The only way to do it now is to move them to the admin level and I am not comfortable with that.

tmoney2007
Collaborator

There are actually other ideas around that sort of "data manager" role, but this would also solve that problem.  Companies of a certain size flat out CAN'T let large numbers of people have access to the administrative configuration settings, but they need people outside of IT to be able to do file mainenance. 

I understand that they are trying to make the software easy to use, because configuring roles can become complicated pretty quickly, but this is another one of those things that will have to be fixed for this software to be a viable solution at larger companies.

ihayesjr
Community Manager

Can you provide some samples of roles with what permissions you would make if given this ability?

takahashihiroki
Autodesk

For example, if  we want to permit "Document Editor Level 1" to assign and delete Item, we need to assign "Item Editor Level 1" as well, but we don't want other permissions of "Item Editor Level 1".

Permissions differ for each company, so it is better to let companies decide what permission they want to set, rather than Vault adding new role, which has fixed set of permissions.

john.laidler
Advisor

We need the ability to grant 'user management' role to a select few users, but don't want them to have full 'admin' rights.

With this new role, assigned users could add or deactivate users and also assign groups.  But they couldn't change the configuration of the Vault itself.

Josh_Hunt
Advocate

I like it but I think it would be much better for Vault to adopt the User > Group > Roles > Permissions structure that PLM360 uses.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Vault-IdeaStation/Create-New-Roles-and-or-Modify-Permissions/idi-p/353...

abekkering
Contributor

Our organization is currently evaluating Vault Lifecycles in hopes of eventually incorporating Vault PRO ECO.  However, we have encountered what may be a “fatal flaw” in user roles and the permissions associated with them.

We need our sales force to participate in Lifecycle to mark-up DWF files, change states, and eventually be responsible for the final release of drawings for manufacture.  This requires these users to be designated as Document Manager 1.  The “fatal flaw” is the permissions assigned to this role gives them the ability to download, save as, or copy the CAD files from Vault to their computers.   As far as our organization is concerned, this cannot be allowed for several reasons – the most obvious being drawing control non-conformities in ISO audits and multiple copies of CAD files on various computers.

Through numerous Vault forum posts, reseller and support sessions, and Vault configuration training, there seems to be absolutely no way to disable this or to create or assign a role with permissions that do not allow download, save as, or copy of CAD files. 

This being the IdeaStation – here’s the idea:

• Allow the creation of a custom role with the ability to assign permissions and disable download rights (Sales and Manufacturing only need access to DWF files for mark-up and review, and state changes in Lifecycles).
  • If that is not possible – Autodesk needs to create a role that does not allow download, save as, or copy of files for a user that needs to participate in Lifecycle state changes, drawing review, approvals, and release.
Jason.Summerfield
Autodesk Support

Need the ability to grant a user specific rights such as 'undo check-out', 'delete', etc.

suggested by: Cameron

woodstylee3
Advocate

I would like to give some users permission to set acls on directories without admin rights.

We map $ to read-only for all but 7 users, new directories for projects automaticcaly inherit this, when created by one of th 7 users. However my power users cannot change the acls on the directorys they create to allow nomral useres to use.

$............Read-only all users, Read Write Power users

$/contract 1 Read-write all nusers

$/new folder.........Created by poer user, inherits acl from $ & power users cannot change ACL.

Add role?

iancross
Advocate

do we have any update on when this will be implemented??

pablo_victor
Contributor

I also have problems with this.

The designers that edit/modify files (Document Editor Level 1) need to have access to rename them too (Document Editor Level 2). The problem is that Document Editor Level 2 also allow them to create new folders and delete files/folders. This should not be allowed for them. Only the administrator can create new folder or delete files/folders in the company.

I hope Autodesk could help with this.

pablo_victor
Contributor

dominik.gleinser
Advocate

Hallo Vault-Team,

a new Idea:

It would be nice to have the possibility to set user-defined role definitions in the ADMS-Console.

The role standard definitions are often not exactly what the customers need. In this case the Vault administrator needs to set up komplex combinations of "permission-roles" in seprate groups.

For such cases it would be nice to set up for example a ROLE with the a user-defined name and userdefined permissions. So the administrator should have the pissibility to choose every permission in the roles seperatly (excluded those which are conjunction with others).

role1.pngrole2.png

Thanks

pablo_victor
Contributor
Exactly!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report