Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy Design Improvements

Copy Design Improvements

There is quite a bit of intellegence build into the "Copy Design" tool..... but, sometimes it is just too smart for itself.  Here is a case in point.

Say, I open a large assembly in Copy Design and I go thru all the items that are going to change and mark them as "Copy" (could be many 10,20,100 parts).  After this is done, I normally go and change the New File Name column to the new part number. Sometimes, these new part numbers already exists in the folder (unbeknowst to me... but Vault knows they exists).  Rather than Vault warning me that they exists, it just decides to change the action to "Replace".

2014-11-19_1017.png

Now, the next problem is after it changes this to "Reuse" and I change it back to "Copy".... all the children under the assembly is now "Copy".  The only way to fix that is to select each and every child.  On a large assembly, it it just better to cancel the Copy Design and just start over and not aggravate my carpal tunnel any more... thus lost work.

2014-11-19_1021.png

I would like for Vault to notify me that the filename already exists, rather than making the decision to change the action that I have already set for the file.

Thanks

3 Comments
olearya
Alumni

Hi Kirk, 

These workflows have been modified considerably in the new Copy Design approach in Vault Professional and Workgroup 2015 R2.  With the integration of Automated numbering we can easily ensure there are no duplicate file names are created and copy pre-checks will report on any duplication and restrict copy untilt they are resolved.

Hope this helps.  

olearya
Alumni
Status changed to: Implemented

karthur1
Mentor

Allan,

I am using Vault Pro, 2015, but have not implemented the R2 yet. Also, we do nto use the Automated Numbering feature just because we use differrent formats for our files. It sounds like the copy pre-checks would be benificial though.

Maybe we need to pull the string on R2...

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report