Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Order

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
jparks_79
411 Views, 7 Replies

Change Order

The change order functionality as it currently exists, appears to be ok. I like the workflows you can create and linking of files. But, I would like to suggest enhancing Change orders into something much more general. It seems as if it could also be useful to track any task or project. Not just ECO's

I would consider calling it a task manager or Task orders. Then have different categories of tasks. 1 being a change order or another configurable task types. This could be used to track projects in the office a little more effectively. Our company keeps developing external tools to do almost the same thing. except the engineer and designer has to work in yet a different software or tool to complete their job.

Integrating the tool into our cad environement would be very helpful. I believe the change order mechanism could be enhanced to allow for such project/task management.

Labels (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
ihayesjr
in reply to: jparks_79

Have you tried using Custom Objects inside of Vault to create Project and Task management?

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Vault - Under the Hood Blog
Message 3 of 8
jparks_79

I have not, as we are still in version 2012, soon to migrate to 2014. I have read about the custom objects. Is task management and project management a common use for the custom objects?

Message 4 of 8
ihayesjr

Yes, those are common uses of custom objects as well as using properties and categories on folders for project managment.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 8
ihayesjr

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 8
cbenner

I've actually set up an alternate numbering scheme in my change orders for general design requests, vs the ECO for revision level changes.  That way, a new design task can actually include marked up prints (most of our jobs are similar to existing ones), and we can attach things like equipment cut sheets, or engineering data... and save them like an ECO for future reference.  Haven't gone live yet, so I'm not sure how well it will work but it has promise.

Message 7 of 8
jparks_79

That sounds like a good idea chris. I have looked at the custom objects, although they do have a lot of flexibility, they ar emissing some of the, robustness, i guess would be the word.

Maybe I will give the alterante numbering scheme a try. Its just people have a hard time looking past the name of things sometime. lets see.

Message 8 of 8
ihayesjr

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums