Vault IdeaStation
Share your wish list directly with the Autodesk Vault Development Team
18 Kudos
Redmond.D

Centralized management of all configuration data

by Employee on ‎06-22-2012 05:42 AM

It would be nice to manage things like saved searches, grid settings and plug-ins through the Vault Settings window instead of copying files to each Vault user's computer.

Project Thunderdome is a good start, but I would like to go beyond Thunderdome.  It would be better if the app were easier to use and built into Vault.

Comments
by Employee ‎06-24-2012 04:25 AM - edited ‎06-24-2012 04:27 AM

Allow Administrators the ability to

• manage centralised Extensions within Vault
  • manage centralised Saved Searches 
  • manage centralised Grid Layout for first time setup

enable mandatory pushes to all clients.

by Employee on ‎06-25-2012 05:08 AM

Here is a link to the Project Thunderdome app.

by Contributor Maarten65 on ‎07-25-2012 01:21 AM

I like to publish Vault client settings from a central location. These settings could be:

- Search definitions

- Layout defintions. (Colomuns and filters for the presented tables)

- Shortcuts

The user must still be able to create their own search definitions.

by Valued Contributor sathersc23 on ‎09-20-2012 09:09 AM

When installing new instances of Vault or setting up for new users, I have to go through and manually setup a standard set of property views to show.

The default "out of the box" view lacks most of the information that makes data reasonably serchable and understandable within our orgainzation.

Can you add an option to export and import views so I can use them as a pseudo template? I know there's a backway around this that kind of works, but it should be a basic function.

Regards,

-Sam

by Board Manager on ‎09-20-2012 09:56 AM
Status changed to: Accepted
sathersc23, thanks for posting the idea. Can you tell me what you think the best way to deploy the configuration to each of the clients would be?
by Valued Contributor sathersc23 on ‎09-25-2012 03:51 PM

I'm not sure how it is managed currently, if it is a set of registry values or something.

If it could be a transportable file (.xml, .cgf, etc... I'm not that much of a software guy) or even a file similar to the styles library where the project file would tell Vault to point to this config for the baseline.

It would make deploying across multiple systems easier, and would significantly lower the learning curve for new users.

Icing on the cake: set up multiple default views based on user group - i.e. my materials people have Vendor shown as the 4th property by default, and my CAD guys only see it on the properties side bar.

by Distinguished Contributor obourne on ‎09-26-2012 01:34 PM

I agree. Currently (if I remember correctly) I can copy the gridstate.xml file from machine to machine but it would be better to have a "common views" setting that all users could reference.

In my environment i manage 65+ users of Vault WG. It's a pain to help everyone create/distribute the views they need for our processes.

by Contributor jhunt107 on ‎09-27-2012 05:26 PM

I didn't see anyone talking about using Vault this way so I wanted to start this conversation. Vault is a data managment tool, but why not use the Vault to enforce settings as a CAD Admin tool. Here are a few ideas, add your own in the comments.

• Enforce defaults on the Vault Prompts
  • Prevent Inventor from saving/opening files anywhere but the workspace.
  • Prevent Inventor from editing files unless they are checked out. (If you click NO on a check out prompt you shouldn't be allowed to edit the file. I see a lot of designers with files edited out of turn. That scenario shouldn't happen.)
  • Enforce Inventor and/or AutoCAD Application Options. This would start out as a global setting (unless you're an admin). Future vault releases would allow applying it to users/groups. (This would facilitate deployment of thousands of seats by enforing settings that shouldn't change)

Discuss!

by Employee on ‎10-01-2012 05:41 AM

I wrote an app, Project Thunderdome, that might address some of these issues.  It's not an officially supported app, but I think feedback would be usefull to this discussion.

by Distinguished Contributor mbodnar on ‎10-03-2012 07:41 PM

I looked at the Project Thunderdome app and works great but only work for the grid for the main window in Vault. It would be great if the settings could be saved, exported and imported to other clients for the other tabs as well, History, Uses and Where Used

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

New Idea
You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea
Top Kudoed Authors