Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Centralized management of all configuration data

Centralized management of all configuration data

It would be nice to manage things like saved searches, grid settings and plug-ins through the Vault Settings window instead of copying files to each Vault user's computer.

Project Thunderdome is a good start, but I would like to go beyond Thunderdome.  It would be better if the app were easier to use and built into Vault.

81 Comments
john.stewart
Autodesk

Allow Administrators the ability to

• manage centralised Extensions within Vault
  • manage centralised Saved Searches 
  • manage centralised Grid Layout for first time setup

enable mandatory pushes to all clients.

Redmond.D
Autodesk

Here is a link to the Project Thunderdome app.

Maarten65
Advocate

I like to publish Vault client settings from a central location. These settings could be:

- Search definitions

- Layout defintions. (Colomuns and filters for the presented tables)

- Shortcuts

The user must still be able to create their own search definitions.

Tags (4)
sathersc23
Advocate

When installing new instances of Vault or setting up for new users, I have to go through and manually setup a standard set of property views to show.

The default "out of the box" view lacks most of the information that makes data reasonably serchable and understandable within our orgainzation.

Can you add an option to export and import views so I can use them as a pseudo template? I know there's a backway around this that kind of works, but it should be a basic function.

Regards,

-Sam

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted
sathersc23, thanks for posting the idea. Can you tell me what you think the best way to deploy the configuration to each of the clients would be?
sathersc23
Advocate

I'm not sure how it is managed currently, if it is a set of registry values or something.

If it could be a transportable file (.xml, .cgf, etc... I'm not that much of a software guy) or even a file similar to the styles library where the project file would tell Vault to point to this config for the baseline.

It would make deploying across multiple systems easier, and would significantly lower the learning curve for new users.

Icing on the cake: set up multiple default views based on user group - i.e. my materials people have Vendor shown as the 4th property by default, and my CAD guys only see it on the properties side bar.

obourne
Advocate

I agree. Currently (if I remember correctly) I can copy the gridstate.xml file from machine to machine but it would be better to have a "common views" setting that all users could reference.

In my environment i manage 65+ users of Vault WG. It's a pain to help everyone create/distribute the views they need for our processes.

jhunt107
Enthusiast

I didn't see anyone talking about using Vault this way so I wanted to start this conversation. Vault is a data managment tool, but why not use the Vault to enforce settings as a CAD Admin tool. Here are a few ideas, add your own in the comments.

• Enforce defaults on the Vault Prompts
  • Prevent Inventor from saving/opening files anywhere but the workspace.
  • Prevent Inventor from editing files unless they are checked out. (If you click NO on a check out prompt you shouldn't be allowed to edit the file. I see a lot of designers with files edited out of turn. That scenario shouldn't happen.)
  • Enforce Inventor and/or AutoCAD Application Options. This would start out as a global setting (unless you're an admin). Future vault releases would allow applying it to users/groups. (This would facilitate deployment of thousands of seats by enforing settings that shouldn't change)

Discuss!

Tags (4)
Redmond.D
Autodesk

I wrote an app, Project Thunderdome, that might address some of these issues.  It's not an officially supported app, but I think feedback would be usefull to this discussion.

mbodnar
Advocate

I looked at the Project Thunderdome app and works great but only work for the grid for the main window in Vault. It would be great if the settings could be saved, exported and imported to other clients for the other tabs as well, History, Uses and Where Used

Maarten65
Advocate

Selectable filter and serach definitions should be distributed with this tool as well.

I like to send the settings to a list of people/groups. Some users have a different role in the organisation and like to use different columns and table filters.

The tool should be available to local admins only.

jparks_79
Collaborator

It would be nice to have a file we could include with deployments as well. That way it comes installed they way pepole like it.

Then an additional button in the client, Vault settings, to export/import. It would be nice if a user is getting a new machine or wants to share their settings with others.

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

RPdAnjou
Enthusiast

In Vault, we have global settings and user settings.

But how do I manage user settings as an Admin?

Import and export xml files on all workstations?

Why don't make a hierarchal profile manager with profiles and inheritance?

The admin can specify as much profiles as he needs.

Example:

Profile                             Description

SystemDefaults              Default Vault environment installation settings that can not be changed.

CompanyProfile           Default company profile with all general settings like workflows and

numbering scemes.

GlobalUserSettings  Settings that can be user settings, but are managed by the admin so

settings can always be overruledbyAdmins.

UserProfiles          Profile for each user that was inherited from all parent profiles.

As stated above, the admin specifiesinparentprofilessotheuser

canonlyoverrideoraddsettingsResetting User settings to

(company) defaults becomes an easy task by just clearing the

user profileandtherebyusingtheinheritedsettingsfromthe

globalprofile.

This also means the settings/profiles are stored in the Vault database and not local.

This can make the life of an admin a lot easier as well as that of the user.

Tags (2)
ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted

dgeldard
Contributor

Have had many cases where users have created dwfs on checkin or not created them at all.  This cause us problems downstream in plotting and exporting dwfs to vendors. Currently this option is user selectable.  Along the same line if would nice if you could control other cad systems settings to enforce certain work flows and settings.

jakub_d
Enthusiast
It would be nice to have shared settings like column display order etc.
dvsmiller9
Advocate

Thunderdome is great but I've found a limitation with deployments.  I'm trying to push out View styles for ECOs.  It works, but it overwrites any views that users have created for themselves.  I'd like the deployment to add a view if it does not already exist on the user's machine or overwrite a view if it does exist.  I do not want it to obliterate any existing views saved with different names, however.  Currently, Thunderdome overwrites the viewstyles.xml file but we need a way to merge, not overwrite, a deployed file with the one that already exists on users' machines.  

Grid states need a similar treatment.  I would like the grid state associated with these user specific views to be saved

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report