Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup or Exporting My Search Folders

Backup or Exporting My Search Folders

This is quite an annoying issue. I've created several Search Folders in Vault, which contain pretty complex search-parameters. Every time we migrate to a newer version of Vault (almost every year) I have to manually 'redesign' these search criteria... FOR EACH WORKSTATION THAT USES VAULT in our company!

It would be a great improvement of Vault Basic to incorporate a tool/function to export/backup AND import the search folders. Can't imagine other users don't think the same.

17 Comments
ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted
Are you referring to Saved Searches?
DanSingleton
Advocate

Absolutely agree. The entire Vault client setup should be configurable and exportable just like an AutoCAD profile. Set up a new workstation, install the client, and import the "profile".  Having to manually reconfigure default folder views, search folders, and "My Shortcuts" on every new client install is an absolute waste of time.

miechh
Collaborator

There is a (manual) way to backup the saved searches (see this post), but I still think there should be a function in Vault to do this.

tmoney2007
Collaborator

More than importable, they should be DEPLOYABLE.

There is no reason that an administrator couldn't define a set of saved searches, property configurations etc, and have them deployed when a user logs into the vault.

miechh
Collaborator

Yes, it applies to Saved Searches (Search folders). I know I can manually make a backup of the files, but for people who don't have access to certain (windows-)folders, this is not an option.

dcoulam3
Contributor

Yes, and please include custom filters, shortcuts, customization, and options.  I like the idea of being able to deploy some of these, too.

YounesYammouri
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

kevin_harman
Participant

Agree 110% that the entire Vault Client setup should be configurable and exportable just like an AutoCAD profile. I work with Vault for multiple sites and each site have Advance settings and searches that are unique to each. Soon to embark on having the Vault version updated annually but just the thought of losing my  Search Folders & Advance settings in Vault due to the upgrade is just disheartening. 95% of my saved searches contain pretty complex search-parameters and Advance setting and all have to be repeated for each Vault after an upgrade. 

I would certainly look into the manual option mentioned in this thread but would great if Autodesk came up with something sooner than later. 

jedwards
Explorer

Must admit - I find it a total shock that the settings are not migrated as they are in other Autodesk products. At a minimum there should be a migration wizard for moving between versions. Ideally though an Export/Import function would allow commonality across users as a starting point.

loic_guilloux_GE
Enthusiast

+1 Of course some advance users can answer we can go in the configuration path and copy or zip the configuration to share it with the other users but like I said this is possible for advance users... I know some Bachelor who are not so comfortable with Microsoft Windows and how to navigate to get the right information (Especially because by default the path where the files are stored is hidden)

So an export / import function will allow the users to quicky share their configuration.

Or another solution, is to be able to create a global configuration used by everyones..

sguan1212
Enthusiast

The future is already here, we need action! PLEASE... it's clearly a gap that needs to be plugged

rainer.hoffmann
Community Visitor

absolutely agree, I don't understand why this isn't already implemented.

YounesYammouri
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented

Implemented in 2024.2 Update

miechh
Collaborator

Wow, that was fast! Status changed to Accepted and changed to Implemented in one day! According to message above, it should be implemented in Vault 2024.2 update, this is the version we have, but where can I find this new feature?

ihayesjr
Community Manager
miechh
Collaborator

Oh, yeah, sure, I should've expected this.... Waited for this 'enhancement' since 2014 to discover this. Of course you'll need Vault Professional for this. Why not implement this in the Basic edition also?

Vault 2024 Managed.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report