Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatically assign Item to Derived component

Hello,

Currently, if I assign an Item to an assembly IAM file, the component IPT files will also get Items assigned.  However, suppose that one of my components is using a derived component.  A blank and then a finish part.  The finish part will get an Item assigned, but the derived component blank will not.  If a person other than the designer assigns the Items, they may miss that there is a derived component that also needs an Item.  It would be nice if Vault knew to assign Items to the entire file tree, and not leave out derived component files.

Daniel Hermanson

5 Comments
ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Senthil_Kumar
Autodesk
Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly- it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes. We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know. - Vault product team
Senthil_Kumar
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

martin_odriscoll
Explorer

Hi,

I know this is relating to an old post but I would like to see it discussed again please.

Being able to assign items to derived parts would be of huge benefit to my workplace. We use the exported .csv BOM to populate our ERP system. Therefore it is crucial that we capture the correct level structure as well as all parts.

martin_odriscoll
Explorer

OK. I just opened a new assembly .iam file and brought in the blank as a part.

I then added the machining detail within the assembly file. That works for me.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report