Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assign Category per Folder

Assign Category per Folder

Have a category automatically assigned to a document, based on the folder it is 'imported' to.  This would work only when there is a new documnet, or not another category, assigned to the documnet.

28 Comments
Maarten65
Advocate

Or even better, make it possible to create a rule which says:

If location path [contains - euqals - does not contain - etc]   "*/library/*  set category to cat_library.

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

sathersc23
Advocate

I would definitely use this for my specifications folder. Everytime an engineer drops in a new spec it will automatically get the specifications category and set to work in progress...

john.stewart
Autodesk

This feature is a must have for AEC companies that are Project Centric

Redmond.D
Autodesk

FYI,  I came up with a solution involving scripting.  Have a look at my blog post for more details.  Let me know what you think.

scottmoyse
Mentor

Just a report from my comment on Doug's Blog Post:

Doug,

This step will cause an error to be thrown when exporting the vault configuration from the ADMS console:

"Set up File and Folder categories with matching names for cases where you want the script to run. This step is needed because categories can’t be shared across Files and Folders."

Its a bug within the database I believe, once that is fixed then there will be nothing wrong with this approach. Bloody good work otherwise.

Cheers

Scott

scottmoyse
Mentor

Maybe you could change your code to look for the same names between the two, but the folder rule could use F_ as a prefix or something to maintain unique category naming?

The bug should be fixed of course, but this would be a semi-acceptable workaround.

s.wile
Advocate

Any progress on this. A rule that looks at folder path could pretty much do the same thing. However Path isn't in the property list of the Rule Condition Builder.

cschnellT2E5T
Contributor

I'm just coming across the need for this now.  We put many different file types into one folder, but those will always be one category of files. Right now we're exploring different options to make this work. It would be a lot easier to just be able to say anything that goes into a certain folder get that category.

D_FControls
Contributor
This would be extremely useful. In fact I can't believe it isn't available already. Any file in the "library" folder should be categorized as Library. Same for Content Center. I'm constantly battling mis-categorized files in the folders and the solution would be so simple.
ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

ThomasRambach
Advisor

This functionality is absolutely necessary as the usage of Vault expands throughout my company. We're using Vault for equipment design which has it's own set of users, lifecycle states and permissions but we also are pushing hard to use it for Facilities drawings which fall under a completely different process that requires it's own set of lifecycle states and permissions. Manually changing category assignment for each check-in is not sustainable or enforceable. iProperty rules for category assignment are not robust enough since the variety of files (DWG, IDW, PDF, etc) is huge as well as the state of the files, some are legacy DWG that we would not want to invest the time into adding properties to before we add them to the Vault.

Without being able to have equipment specific folders assign equipment categories and lifecycles and facilities specific folders assign facilities categories and lifecycles, the data is unmanageable.

Also, another scenario involves security classification within these disciplines. Certain projects are classified as need-to-know basis only and need to be appropriately categorized for permissions. Adding new files to a secure folder does not provide any means to automatically categorize those files as special with restricted permissions. Folder security can cover some of this but the door is open to inadvertently move files from the secure folder to elsewhere through copy design or other means.

I hope this idea gets some traction in the next couple of releases. It may not be an easy fix, but dealing with this issue on a daily basis is frustrating when all you want is for the software to behave like you want and give you the flexibility you need. 

Also, data standard may solve this but it's the draconian approach to what should be simpler solution. It has too much and not enough of what we really need and also hard to deploy on a large scale.

fbarrafato
Participant

Having rules set up to categorize files based on specific attributes is how we currently handle our Vault rules, in some situations it would be nice to have a rule for categorization based on where that file is stored inside the vault.

YounesYammouri
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted

ThomasRambach
Advisor

@YounesYammouri that makes me happy.

jason.dupree
Advocate

Really looking forward to this!

Eli_Dexter
Advocate

In many organization files grouped in folders based on their categories. Currently Vault does not have possibility to assign category base on file location. It would be nice if one of the criteria in the Rule Condition Builder would be path. In this case, the category assignment could be automated.

Tags (3)
YounesYammouri
Community Manager

Some possible solutions for this idea are currently under discussion on the NDA based Vault Feedback/Beta forums. If you would like to contribute/validate then please apply for access using this link: Vault Beta

screenshot-1.png

Eli_Dexter
Advocate

YounesYammouri👍 👍 👍 👍 👍

What version of Vault this is going to be implemented? Beta 2020.1 does not mention it as either new feature or bug fix. Where can I download the correct beta version?

YounesYammouri
Community Manager

@Eli_Dexter this is available for testing on the beta portal: Vault Professional Duplicate Search Alpha 1 either by running Vault in Browser or download Duplicate Search Alpha Installer:

RunVaultinyourBrowser.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report