Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add Alert Notifications To Vault

Add Alert Notifications To Vault

Description

There are a lot of automatic processes that run on the Vault server that are critical to daily usage.  If any of these processes fail, administrators need to be notified so that the issue can be addressed ASAP before the system gets into a critical state.

Impact

If the processes go unmonitored or errors are not addressed in a timely manner, the Vault system can get into a critical state making it impossible to use until the issues are addressed.  It can also affect users daily work as they may not be able to get files needed to complete their work.

Severity

High

Solution

Create an alert feature in Vault that notifies specific users/administrator of potential problems with the Vault processes.  This should be in the form of an email with possibly attaching log files and other important information in the alert.

Samples of things that need to be monitored:

• File replication
  • SQL replication
  • ADMS Console backup
  • Database and file store size
11 Comments
tim_gladdy
Contributor

It would be really useful if an email could be sent to Vault adminstrator(s) to notify them of the success or failure of a backup.

This is particularly relevant when the administrator is managing several stand alone Vaults across multiple sites, it removes the tedium of logging in to each server to check the backup has succeeded.

SQL provides an smtp email notification function, therefore I would assume an interface could be built to that to allow administrators to set up notification from the backup and extract the relevant line from the log notifying success or failure.

Tags (1)
ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

ihayesjr
Community Manager

olearya
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Mark_Wigan
Collaborator

this functionality would be greatly appreciated to say the least. i have emails sent to me automatically on a schedule using scripts that cover things like backups and vault dependent services, but they can only do so much. the Replication Monitor has more information that CAD Admins need to check regularly, so as per the original post, the Solutions requested would make us all very happy, and save lots of cost in time and money.

mikegreslick6607
Advocate

Any status update on replication (whether it's from Autodesk side or even the SQL side) would be greatly appreciated. In the 9 months that we've been replicating to 5 separate sites, I've twice had to delete and reinitaite workgroups, replicate databases and then filestores because the replication borked and it wasn't caught in time.  I think most CAD admins can agree that we sometimes just don't have the time to log in to a server, ADMS and check the status of each site.

ihayesjr
Community Manager

While we are still working on this solution, SQL does provide monitoring and alerting tools for replication.

This is an section from an AU class I taught in 2013.

Monitoring Tools
It is very important to monitor the Vault environment. SQL Server provides replication alerts and
threshold settings that can be monitored and emailed to system administrators if an alert occurs or
a threshold has been passed. You will need to use SQL’s Database Mail component to setup the
emailed alert.
SQL Database Mail
To start the Database Mail Configuration Wizard

1. From Object Explorer, connect to an instance of SQL Server.
  2. Expand Management, right-click Database Mail, and select Configure Database Mail.
  3. Choose the Set up Database Mail option to set up Database Mail for the first time.
  4. Choose one of the other options for specific maintenance tasks:
    a.  Manage Database Mail accounts and profiles.
    b.  Manage profile security.
    c.  View or change system parameters.

Replication Alerts
Here are a few links which explain what to monitor in a replicated environment:

johannes.bauer
Autodesk Support

Description:

Big environments with Multiple Sites - Connected Workgroups (4 Subscriber and more) + AVFS on multiple sites with more than 700 Users.

Challenge:

Site xyz is complaining about bad performance. Administrator needs to look in multiple different locations/logs to find the root cause.

Proposal:

Implement a better monitoring to see from ADMS System Health - e.g. with traffic lights (red, yellow, green)

Impact:

If traffic light system would be in the out of the box product - system administrators would have more power to faster mititigate issues

Tags (3)
Ksmedley
Enthusiast

I have run into a situation with a replicated server that has issues and I did not relize it until it was too late...

philip.s
Alumni

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report