Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

working with i-parts using vault

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
ckuester
236 Views, 1 Reply

working with i-parts using vault

Hello,

we are using i-parts and vault professional 2013.

My question is if there is any recommended workflow for releasing family members and working with i-parts in vault?

For example: If i want to change the status of a family member the base part has to be changed also.

For changing features within a family member i need to checkout both...and what about the drawings connected to the single members of the family?

Are there any does and don'ts??

Thanks

Greetings

Christian

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
olearya
in reply to: ckuester

HI Christian,

A couple of suggestions here:

1. Generally you should not need to manage the ipart Factory - as this is not referenced in parts lists etc it should not require lifecycle controls or revisions.  Perhaps you can lock it to prevent unwanted changes but really we should be more concerned with the iParts themselves.

2. You likely do need to release the iParts as they are referenced into parts lists etc - typically you should create a separate category for these which automatically release them on creation like library parts - there is a file rule which can be applied here (see underthehood blog for more detail)

3. Finally we have made some really important changes in 2013 - if you edit the factory and make changes to existing instances when you close the table you should right click on the modified members and select to generate them - when you check the factory back in Vault is now smart enough to check out and check in the modified members (this was not possible previously and quite an issue).

Now - you still need to change the state on those files to be read write enabled in order to achieve this but this is part of why we have lifecycle schemes...

Hope this helps,

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report