Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working with BOTH Vault Basic and Vault Pro

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
ivar.mo
845 Views, 12 Replies

Working with BOTH Vault Basic and Vault Pro

Hi!

I am currently running a Vault Basic 2014 installation with 8 users connected to it. Our main customer demands that we work directly towards their Vault Pro server. 

What do I have to install on our workstations to make our engineers able to work towards both servers? Vault Pro lisences - Yes, but do I have to install two different Vault Clients - Basic + Pro? 

What about the Inventor Add-in for Vault? 

I am stuck! Please help!

best regards,

Ivar

Tags (4)
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
DarrenP
in reply to: ivar.mo

you have to install the vault pro client

the vault clients do not talk to each other

a vault basic client will not talk to a vault pro server

i wouldn't mix and match the different vault products in your enviroment

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 13
ivar.mo
in reply to: DarrenP

Thank You!
I was expecting this answer... 😕
What about the Inventor Add-in? Works for both Basic and Pro?
Message 4 of 13
marina.collet

Yes, your Inventor Add-in will work with both Vaults. However, make sure that you are connected to the right Vault (and server).

If I understood well your first statement, the Vault Pro server is on the customer's site.

You will then need to connect to their server (usually through VPN). However, the lisenses are handled through the Vault server, meaning that you won't need to buy any new lisense. Your customer should make sure that they have enough available lisenses though.

Message 5 of 13
Neil_Cross
in reply to: marina.collet

Just one further point on that, although in theory if you're VPN'd into the other company you should be able to access their Vault Pro server... depending on the quality of the line and the size of the datasets, expect it to be potentially extremely slow.

Also, I hate to be the party pooper here but I think this may be in breach of the licensing agreement for Autodesk products.  Don't forget, you never 'own' an Autodesk license you're merely paying to 'lease' that license and the rights to use it.  That's why there's no second hand market for Autodesk licenses.  See the End User License Agreement (EULA):

1.5          Authorized Users.  Licensee may permit the Licensed Materials to be Installed and/or Accessed only by Licensee’s Personnel

It's there in black & white in the EULA.  So although it'll work, it's not really permitted.  I guess it's up to you guys to make that call.

Sorry Smiley Sad

Message 6 of 13
ivar.mo
in reply to: Neil_Cross

Hi Neil!

I will bring your licensing point into the discussion.

Message 7 of 13
Neil_Cross

Yea it's a bummer, although it won't sound alarm bells over at HQ resulting in the licensing police being scrambled to your door, it's something you guys need to be conscious of.  Maybe worth an official comment from an Autodesk rep if any come across this?

Message 8 of 13
tahdesign1

Yeah this licensing is something I think ADSK needs to address in this overly connected world.

As long as the Client is paying for X amount of Vaults licenses that can be used, it should be up to them as to whom connects to their network and uses them.

Even though we do not allow "contractors" to work off site, we do have them working at our facility AND using our setups/server licenses through our workstations. However, if that section you referenced is strictly held to that would not be allow either. Since these contractors are really not Licensee’s Personnel but independent businesses working in our facility.

Message 9 of 13
tmoney2007

It's an interesting proposition. The letter of the law makes it sound like it applies. I would guess that the intent of the language was to prevent a company from buying a ton of servers and licenses and running vault as a service to many companies (which is actually a really good idea, haha).

An official ruling is definitely needed,... in writing... haha
Message 10 of 13
Neil_Cross
in reply to: tmoney2007

Yes that's definitely a grey area, as you'll know it's extremely normal now to have contracted draftsmen in... I've never heard of a contract drafty being instructed to buy and use their own license! But that's where the grey area is I guess, they're contracted to the business and become temporary staff... I'm sure Autodesk would realise it would absolutely not be in their best interests to enforce that in such situations. 

Message 11 of 13
tahdesign1

Oh no it is more messy than that for us.

Yes we have contract designers here that are coming through a contracting agency. They are consider and called "contract employees". They punch our time clocks and go by the same rules of attendance and the like as regular employees do. So I would think that these people using the system should not be in question at all.

However, we also have contractors that work in our facilities. These are people who either work for another company or they are their own company that we pay for my issuing POs. They bill use just like any other service but they just happen to be on site. So no they are not connecting to our networks from outside our facility (heck I can do that either) but they are connecting while here AND they are not Licensee’s Personnel.

I feel that with the use of a license server in order to access Vault PRO that it should be up to the Licensee’s to managemnt who uses those licenses no matter where they are. The Licensee’s is paying for each use and has a server that prevents the use from going above what is being paid for so where is the issue?

Message 12 of 13
Neil_Cross
in reply to: tahdesign1

To be honest I would hope there isn't an issue, like the guy above said it's probably a blanket statement to cover companies who might take liberties with that.  For example, create a new company and buy 20 licenses then charge 10 times the cost to 'hire' the licenses out to other companies.  I doubt it applies to people you contract in, even if they have their own companies.  In the UK that's common, drafty's have their own companies and invoice their clients just like any other service provider.  Yet they sit in the clients office 9-5 all week for years at a time.

But in the original scenario you mentioned, someone who's staff in company A dialling into company B and using their Vault licenses... that's a little different I guess.  

Message 13 of 13
tahdesign1

"But in the original scenario you mentioned, someone who's staff in company A dialling into company B and using their Vault licenses... that's a little different I guess."

Yes but I think that situation should be OK also as long as it is how company B, who is paying for the license, chooses to use it.

The fact that there is a license service keeping strict tract of that use so that you can not go over the amount you are paying for should be all that is needed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report