Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does Vault ask this?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
drguitarum2005
446 Views, 4 Replies

Why does Vault ask this?

Let's say I have an assembly composed of 2 parts. I make a drawing for it so I have 2 .ipt files, 1 .iam file and 1 .dwg file, all in Vault, all completely done and checked it.

I check out the drawing because I need to change a note in the title block. I change the note then press save and for some unknown reason, Inventor seems to think the 2 PARTS need saving as well, so it brings up the dialogue that says "Do you want to save changes to xxx.dwg and its dependents?" and lists the .dwg with a "Yes" under the save column, as well as both PARTS with a "Yes" BUT says "Write enable (not checked out from Vault)". If I say yes to all 3, I get big time problems with my parts being all messed up as now my read-only, no longer up-to-date copy on my local drive has been marked write enable. If I change those to "no", it errors on save and says I must save before checking in.

What the heck is Inventor doing to these parts that it feels the need to save? How do I force it to STOP trying to save parts that haven't been touched?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: drguitarum2005

From Inventors Application Options, Save tab... try unchecking the "prompt to save for re-computable updates". I've had success doing this.

Read some about it here: http://crackingthevault.typepad.com/crackingthevault/2010/10/changes-have-been-made-to-some-assembly...

Message 3 of 5
drguitarum2005
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks for the reply but unfortunately that option is already unchecked. I just don't get what Inventor thinks is changing in those parts that I didnt touch...
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: drguitarum2005

Are they just normal parts? Not iParts, Content Center, Library Etc? Are they migrated to the current version of Inventor you are using?

Message 5 of 5
mikel_martin
in reply to: Anonymous

Perhaps posting this in the Inventor forum would get you a better answer.

As for what happens after the files are saved and not checked out. If you are using Vault workgroup or Pro, there is a subscription update for the 2014 release which has some changes to help deal with this scenario.

These changes are not available in Vault Basic yet.

Mikel Martin
User Experience Architect
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report