Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is the Design Review Vault add-in?

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
scottmoyse
1812 Views, 15 Replies

Where is the Design Review Vault add-in?

Can someone from Autodesk please explain the logic behind not having a Vault add-in for a program that HAS to be installed for Vault to even function? 

Design Review is clearly an integral part of Vault, its required to preview any Autodesk Visualisation files from within Vault. However, you have to use Vault Explorer exclusively to check DWF's in and out of Vault, it seems completely ridiculous to me.

Considering the ECO DWF markup window is too small & frankly rubbish. Along with the inability to save your markup part way through your work, without creating a new dwf in Vault, it seems completely idiotic to not have a seemless way of checking DWF's in and out of Vault.

I'm well aware of dwf overlay's in Inventor, however, practically they are unreliable and for some reason quite often can't overlay some sheets in a drawing. Essentially this renders them pointless.

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
scottmoyse
in reply to: scottmoyse

I'm not surprised no one from Autodesk has replied to this one.....

Scott Moyse
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 3 of 16
cbenner

August of 2013 and still no add in for DR.  Vault ECO has the option to open visualizations in DR for marking up, but there is no way t osave the document back to tthe Vault, let alone attach it to the change order.  The only way to do this is for the user to save the file someplace on the network, and then for me as Admin to manually add it to the Vault and attach it to the ECO.

WHAT?!

DR's markup tools are vastly superior to the markup tools built in to the ECO screen.

Message 4 of 16
DarrenP
in reply to: cbenner

there was also no design review 2014 either

it looks like autodesk is adding these markup tools to Autodesk 360 now

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 5 of 16
cbenner
in reply to: DarrenP

@DarrenP wrote:

there was also no design review 2014 either

it looks like autodesk is adding these markup tools to Autodesk 360 now

And what about those of us who do nat have and have no intention of using 360?  I knew this day was coming, I just knew it.

Message 6 of 16
Winks87

Still no reply fronm Autodesk......  HELLO AUTODESK? 

Vault Pro 2014 says I need design review to view files in separate window.  Why would the Vault say it needs this software?

James Winkler
Message 7 of 16
cbenner
in reply to: Winks87

Design Review is no longer officially supported, but is still needed by Vault client as a viewer.  I believe Autodesk has not responded to these questions because they honestly do not know the answer yet.  For the time being we still need to use Design Review and I believe it can be downloaded from the Autodesk website.  What will happen down the road,... we'll have to wait and see what decisions they make going forward.

Message 8 of 16
Winks87

Ok, so this may not be a productive email but...  This is the kind of stuff that just really burns me.  They release new software (regardless of if it's ready, or there are enough new features to warrant a full blown relea$e), but they dont include integral components REQUIRED by said software, but we still dont get a response.  Which leads me to believe that the software was not ready to be released, but hey, they have a $chedule to keep.  I just really dont understand this.  When you start figuring in how much money you spend on this software, I would expect better. 

James Winkler
Message 9 of 16
Boorda

3/4 way thru 2016 and still no response. We're not going to get one.....

Sure would be nice though.

FieldCricket.png

Automation is key!
Message 10 of 16
DarrenP
in reply to: Boorda

there isn't going to be one Autodesk has said they are discontinuing Design Review

there is a whole thread on this: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/design-review/is-design-review-discontinued/td-p/3887935

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 11 of 16
tahdesign1
in reply to: DarrenP

Hmmm this is disappointing or at least makes me ask how others are checking and marking up drawing.

I am developing our use of Pro and had thought that the checkers and approves could review/markup drawings at their desks using design review and thin client. Was going to try and get away from having check prints made and marked up.

So in your checking process, is everyone still doing this on paper? I thought that was the intent of Design review.

Message 12 of 16
DWhiteley

....Then perhaps they are planning to discontinue Vault in some shape or form?

Message 13 of 16
Winks87
in reply to: DWhiteley

That is something I often wonder about, I know I have done extensive work with Vault to make it say/show/work the way we want.  It's almost a shame if it eventually goes away, but if the replacement isn't so buggy, I guess I wouldn't mind too much.  As long as its not restrictive to the "cloud".  Hmmm...the "cloud"  you all know this is just a code word for a bank of servers in Arizona which really means its the ....(wait for it)...Internet!  Which we all know to be completely safe and secure! Smiley Very Happy  Just where I want to save all of my excusive/unique/proprietary kiln designs...

James Winkler
Message 14 of 16
Winks87

Sorry, I will try to curb my sarcasm in future posts...it just bothers me that this code word "cloud" is so ingrained in the modern tech culture that people really start believing that it is something exclusive and different...  But it is really just the internet...

James Winkler
Message 15 of 16
Boorda

I'm with you on that one, large companies such as the one I work for have lots and lots of IT security policies in place. Trusting our proprietary design data on an outside server, no matter how secure Autodesk says it is, is just not an option for us. So if presented with an ultimatum to choose "Cloud" or discontinue using Autodesk products, what do you think we'll choose?

Automation is key!
Message 16 of 16
tahdesign1
in reply to: Boorda

I also must fight this fight whenever I upgrade my software.

I have always had to hack the ini files to keep the "cloud" hooks from installing.

We have never nor will we ever be allow to use the cloud in any way.

It also might even get worse. There is a design area within our company that exists totally within a bubble. This means the server and all the workstations can communicate to nothing else. No internet, no email, all usb ports are disabled, double hand scans to even enter the area, etc.

It could very well be that I get forced into that area at some point so if internet connection becomes necessary for ADSK products then we will have to rethink what we are doing. That area is using NX so I assume that can work well in the bubble.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report