Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does this error message really mean?????

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Cadmanto
713 Views, 14 Replies

What does this error message really mean?????

I get this error message quite a bit and it is most frustrating.

Currently I am working on a frame created using the frame generator.  I save the assembly and then immediately go to try and check it in and it wont let me with this error message comes up.  I would really like to know how to prevent this.

error.JPG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
cbenner
in reply to: Cadmanto

Not sure why you get it, but what usually gets rid of it for me is to Save, then hit Yes To All... even if it looks like something you haven't changed.  What really baffles me is that sometimes, the file needing to be saved is something checked in.... or even a CC part.  Then you have to check it out, save it, and finally you are able to check everything in. 

You probably knew all that, and like me, just want to know why it happens. Smiley Indifferent

Message 3 of 15
Cadmanto
in reply to: cbenner

Chris,

Yes, I am with you.  I want to know thew root cause of this terribly annoying message.

Yes, it is CC parts that generally cause this (frame generator) and I have tried the "Yes" to all, but then I have been getting another error message that show the files that did get saved and the ones that didn't.

I am probably going to have to callup individual parts and then save them.  I just don't get why this program

does filter down and do all of this manual stuff on its own. Smiley Mad

Just when you think you have solved this program oppps, here is another error message that makes no sense or you can't figure out what the heck does that mean???

Sorry for the rant.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 4 of 15
cbenner
Message 5 of 15
Cadmanto

Thanks Chris.

You are so right and sometimes we need those little reminders of what really matters.

FYI, I prefer the milk.  It does solve somethings.  Mainly thirst!!!  Smiley Wink

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 6 of 15

Cadmanto,

Just for fun, do a "check out all" on the assembly. Save it, then check it back into Vault, Making sure the "delete local copies on check-in" box is checked.

For the life of me at the moment I can't recall what causes this, but I have seen it here a few times.

Usually, it's got something to do with the user modifying a local, non-checked out file or something along those lines.

One other option is you can do a general search in Vault for your user ID and all files you have checked out. Check them all back in and delete all the files still on your HD within the vault working folder. This prevents you from accidentally activating a local, non-checked out file if indeed that's the casue of this issue (or simply use the "Workspace Sync" tool in Vault Explorer.

I can't drink my Jameson or Guinness while on the job and there's no milk here, nor and bibles, so I just put on the headphones and chill out to some old Pink Floyd....then the World is right as rain again...;)

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Jim
Celtic Design Services, LLC

Inventor/AutoCAD/Vault WorkGroups
Always for hire - celticdesign01ATyahooDOTcom
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celtic-Design-Services-LLC/184666001666426
==========================================================
Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Go raibh maith agat (in other words...Thank you!)
Message 7 of 15

Scott and all,

Does the following information help you? Please note that this is for Inventor 2013 release.

http://crackingthevault.typepad.com/crackingthevault/2012/05/how-to-avoid-the-check-in-error-when-we...

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help!
Message 8 of 15

We get this message in 2012 also.

Can we do the same editing of the xml file?

Thanks

Dan

Message 9 of 15

Unfortunately the answer is NO. We have added only in Inventor 2013 release.

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 15
ssather23
in reply to: cbenner

"Not sure why you get it, but what usually gets rid of it for me is to Save, then hit Yes To All... even if it lookslikesomething you haven't changed.  What really baffles me is that sometimes, the file needing to be saved issomething checked in.... or even a CC part.  Then you have to check it out, save it, and finally you are able tocheckeverything in. 

You probably knew all that, and like me, just want to know why it happens. :smileyindifferent:"

We've had major issues steming from this practice when using Vault products. It's essentially digging your hole deeper if you do not have write access to the files you are modifying and you save them into a modified state, and check that file in.

The trouble is, Inventor lets you just write over anything even if it's read only and Vault lets you check it back in. It kind of defeats the purpose of data management. It took me about 14 months of use until I could really navigate our Vault well enough to go through and essentially rebuild files saved like this from the ground up without accidentally smudging a lower level file. Most users don't have enough knowledge to know how to get all the proper write access, build it in the correct order, and make sure it won't throw this error again.

Message 11 of 15
Cadmanto
in reply to: Senthil_Kumar

Senthil,

I tried your link and it brings up a blank page.  I would love to see what it says.

My work around ahs been to close the file and then it prompts me to check it in with out this error message.

I have also tried playing with the "Yes to all" and it hasn't always worked.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 12 of 15
BL4849

blank page aswell.

Can you run Inventor 2012 with Vault Server 2013?

Message 13 of 15
Senthil_Kumar
in reply to: BL4849

Sorry. We have taken down that post due to an issue with the information provided. We will post it back when we have an update.

Regarding your " Can you run Inventor 2012 with Vault Server 2013?" please refer the readme file from "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Vault 2013".

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 14 of 15
stevenguy
in reply to: Senthil_Kumar

F.Y.I

Usign Inbentor with vault is pain in the neck but we can't live without vault.

We have 36 Inventor users and we really need vault.

There are few rule need to use vault without wasting too much time.

I start at the company I worked now 2 yrs ago and they have valt but they wasting too much time to save, checkout and check-in the same file every time they open those files or assembly.

I created few step print out and hang infront of the monitor and few months later the team getting better.

Here are the rules.

1. Check out only files you modifier.

2. Save only the file you have check out and modifier.

3. Check-in with (dwf) only if you need to some one else to use your (dwf.) during the design you don't need to check-in with dwf. take too long to check-in.

4. Open file from vault only. This help to get all latest file from vault or your team.

5. Remove local copy one in a while.

We use this few step for few month and the user getting better and understand how to work with vault.

Nothing is going the right some time you need to use some trick to work around the vault.

I work with large assembly or overall assembly and some time file so big and you can't check-in because all the files children below need to save before check-in.

I found a cheating way to go around. Let said I have an assembly open and it has some sub assembly and some single parts. I have the assembly check-out so I can work and end of the day I save and check-in the vault data base tell me all the file below need to be save before check-in but I didn't do anything with those file.

There are (2) ways to check-in this file.

1. closed Inventor then Inventor will ask you to save then you see a window pop up with a list of file to save click no to all then yes to the file you have check out. Then Inventor save and vault check-in pop up then you check-in.

The step will not work all the time.

2. While you in the assembly look for a direct children of this assembly then check-out that children then RMB on that children and check-in then you see the vault check-in window pop up then click setting check the box said Include parent. This will let you pretent check-in the children with the parent. This work all the time.

Make sure you find the direct child and make sure the child is clean.

All the step of rules and cheating way to check-in file is short fix. The right way is built your model clean assembly full constarint and simplifier the model / assembly.

Part.

1. all sketch fully constarint

2. purge out all unuse styles

3. No adaptive sketch. Unless you need for your design when done break adaptive.

Assembly.

1. all parts must be fully constraint or ground.

2. Make sure all link work no missing part or attached file.

3. No red cross in the assembly or sub assembly below and children.

4. before save and check-in make sure assembly update. no ligthen bolt icon on.

I am not telling any one how to use Inventor but I use most of the step in this post and our assembly getting cleaner every time and less check-in and out and save a lot of time.

Hope this help.

Steve Nguyen
CAD Admin/ Eng
Inventor Pro, Inventor Publisher & Vault 2016
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5690 @3.47GHz (2 processors)
Mem 48.0 GB
OS Win 8.1 64-bit
Graphic Card: Quadro FX 4800
Message 15 of 15
sathersc23
in reply to: stevenguy

Stevenguy is right in that using Inventor with Vault is a giant pain given there is no way to push changes up through product structures.

The system I imagine works great if you're a job-shop style business where your'e not reusing large swaths of your data, or in a slow moving business model where you evaluate and rev bump all the way up the where-used tree any change. We don't (some files have well over 500 parents/grand-parents/etc. [no where is this terminology made clear!] in the where-used tree).

Our DWF's actually generate super fast, so we always generate on check-in, it might add .5 seconds to the process (our assemblies are all sub-250 unique components).

"I work with large assembly or overall assembly and some time file so big and you can't check-in because all the files children below need to save before check-in." is our biggest issue as well. 

Work around #1 and 2 creates the infinite amount of edited out of turn errors because the local copies files are saved with never match the Vault data. 99.5% of the time this is just a timestamp/hostname issue where an update has been run to work on the high level assembly and sub-assemblies have been edited to get there. We've had mixed success doings this, and generally find it's kind of a "kick the can down the road" approach.

I'm in the process of training users how to bypass the ECO process so they can dig down to the modified sub-assemblies and check-out/in all the files that have been smudged. This adds siginificant time to the process, and is generally a last resort if Stevenguys's #1 workaround doesn't work to check in a file or if constraints are blowing up all over the place.

The big issues we find that lead to this error are:

-We refuse to open all parents of a file being changed and update them all and release them all

-Vault will not propogate updates to parents automatically

-Inventor will gladly save over a read-only file [ "Write Enable (Not checked out from Vault") ]

-Inventor won't work with legacy data without forcing an update (i.e. all my 2010 files need to be migrated to 2012 to be usable and not throw errors, even though the model hasn't changed)

-Vault won't look the other way if a file is opened in a later version of Inventor and migrated while in a read-only state

Sam Sather
CAD Admin
Inventor 2014
Vault Pro 2014 SR: 1 SP: 1
Intel Xeon X5690 @ 3.47 GHz
48.0 GB Ram
Windows 7 x64
AMD FirePro V7900 - 8.830.5.6000

----------------------------

"We have not succeeded in answering all our problems. The answers we have found only serve to raise a whole set of new questions. In some ways we feel we are as confused as ever, but we believe we are confused on a higher level and about more important things." - Earl C. Kelley

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report