Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VP 2016 - Sorting Order has changed to value rather than digits

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
steveh3
376 Views, 3 Replies

VP 2016 - Sorting Order has changed to value rather than digits

Started using 2016 this week and noticed that the sorting has changed. Instead of sorting on the digit, its actually sorts based on value. This needs to return to the sorting method which has been used form day one with Vault.

Main reason...has to match sorting method used in Inventor. If you look at a BOM in Inventor, the sorting method uses the sorting method used in prior versions.

Also, most ERP/MRP systems use the digid based sorting method vs value. Anybody else experiencing this?Vault 2016 Sorting.png

Inventor---Vault Professional
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
marina.collet
in reply to: steveh3

I believe this was requested many times in the past... That Vault should behave like Windows explorer...

Now... Who's right, who's wrong, I couldn't say 😉

Message 3 of 4
steveh3
in reply to: marina.collet

Hello mcollet......

Understood...who's right?

Our dilemma is that Inventor sorts by digits and if you compare a Vault BOM to Inventor BOM, it's nearly impossible to compare because of two different sorting methods. Now, on top of that, the three ERP/MRP systems that I have encounted over the years also uses this sorting method.

So, Windows is the odd duck in my opinion.

Now...just a little history lesson with Autodesk CAD software.....

Way back in the '97 ish era, MDT (predecessor to Inventor) was using digits to sort. They switched for one release to value sorting and went back to sorting by digits in the next release due to a huge amount of outrage from users.

Then about six years later, Inventor went thru the same issue. It sorted by digits, then for one release they went to value sorting, and then back to digits again after that.

So...who's right? I'm going to have to say that sorting by digits is .....based on the history.

For us...we have 20+ years of legacy data and you are asking us to switch....that's tough to swallow.

Maybe a switch in admin settings?

Inventor---Vault Professional
Message 4 of 4
minkd
in reply to: steveh3

It looks like the natural sort order is always in effect for certain columns only: item-number, revision, item-quantity, BOM-order, detail-id and position-number. It is not (yet) configurable, although I think the ability to configure it on any text column would be a nice one for the idea station.

Have you looked at sorting by the "row order" column? A collegue tells me that should put the BOM in the same order as shown in CAD.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report