Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visualization Management

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
jcorson8499
869 Views, 7 Replies

Visualization Management

In the Vault Settings under the Visualisation tab the Commands button. These are all processes that when completed delete the link between file and dwf. Im told this is done to prevent outdated visualization files from being attached to data files. Now would there be any issues with unchecking 'Move' and 'Lifecycle - Change State' since doing this really isnt modify the file itself but it is creating a new vesion?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice given.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
cbenner
in reply to: jcorson8499

I haven't messed with this a lot, so take this for what it's worth.  I don't think it would be a real problem, all it would do is create a non-compliance between the file and the visualization.  What I did was put the property compliance field on my screen next to the entity icon, so I could have a visual reminder of these non compliances.  When I see one, sync properties and, if necessary, update the visualization.  That way I know everything is up to date.

comply.JPG

Message 3 of 8
jcorson8499
in reply to: cbenner

Ok but its not going to grab a random version of the dwf and throw it in there is it? 

Message 4 of 8
cbenner

Once you do a Sync Properties, the dwf generally disappears and you have to Update to get a new one.  The new one should be to the current state of the file.

If you use Item Master, and the file is already assigned an Item, you will have to Update the Item as well for the Visualization on that side to match up.

Like I said, I've never messed much with this.  But, when I took over administering our Vault, all but Copy Design had been unchecked in the Commands area, and I've never seen an issue with having an out od date dwf, that did NOT have the "out of sync" icon on the file.

Message 5 of 8
jcorson8499

Ok i will have to talk it over with some of the guys here because we are using file level permissions and when we change the state of a file the preview does not show up and makes the the guy checking the file have to open or update the file. which adds on a whole bunch of time that someone is just sitting around waiting and doing nothing. So if we can have it set not to delete the link between the idw and the dwf then that would make their days a little better. 

Message 6 of 8
cbenner
Message 7 of 8
jcorson8499

ill test it out in the test vault before implementing it with the live files.

Message 8 of 8
jparks_79

I have disabled many of the options from this window. Basically, if you leave it as it is, the visualization gets disconnected after every process that occurs to the file. For us, this is not nescessary.

From our point of view, we only want to break the visualization link only if something has changed in the model or drawing. We do not have the "Lifecycle" stamped in the drawing anywhere or in the models. I guess if you had a "Drawing/Design State" mentioned in your drawing titleblock, that was linked to the vault property, then maybe you would want to recreate the dwf so it shows the correct lifecycle state. Otherwise, i think you are safe to omit it.

I would also think you are safe to omit "move". I cant see any impact a file move would have on the visualization file. Unless there is something in the Item.

I have attached our settings. You could probably find points to argue for or against any of the options, but like cbrenner said, you are just going to need to try a few settings. You will know when you get them right when you stop getting complaints 🙂 Good luck

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report