Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Slow Performance Vault Explorer 2013

48 REPLIES 48
Message 1 of 49
svillaire
4713 Views, 48 Replies

Very Slow Performance Vault Explorer 2013

We recently upgraded our Vault Server to 2013 (ADMS).  New high powered Dell Precision T5500 workstations were deployed with AutoDesk Inventor Suite 2013.  When users attempt to open a file from the Vault using the Inventor vault add-in or Vault explorer, the process is extremely slow.   The grid takes approximately 1 minute for the files to populate, then 30-45 seconds for each subsequent subfolders. 

Granted the folder and file structure is large with 1000’s of drawings, but we never had this issue with Vault 2012 using old out dated workstations.

I was expecting a major performance increase with the new workstations, but we are experiencing the opposite.

Here are the details of the Vault Server:

Dell PowerEdge R510

Dual Xeon Processors 2.66GHz

48GB Ram

Full SQL Server 2008R2

Windows Server 2008R2 Enterprise

1 Vault, 1 Library

Total size of vaults (SQL Databases) 3.61GB

Total size of libraries (SQL Databases) 750MB

Total size of file store 62.94GB

Number of files in data store 187,732

Steps taken to try and speed up browsing of files in Vault:

• Full SQL Maintenance Plan runs every evening
  • Manually defragment database through ADMS (ADMS almost always says Defragmentation Recommended)
  • Restart SQL Server
  • Re-Index File Properties
  • Updated File Status
  • Disabled McAfee Anti-Virus on Server and Clients

Please help!

Thanks,

Shawn

48 REPLIES 48
Message 21 of 49
Rednas79
in reply to: mbodnar

At our company we just upgrade form Vault 2012 to Vault Workgroup 2013.

Some clients encounter problems with initial connection  to the server and some not.

The problem clients had the problem that connection to the vault server takes a up to a minute and after logged in the browsing in Vault is slow. A page take up to a 1 min before its was show.

By 1 users i removed the user profile so Windows 7 made a new profile of the user and the problem seems te be solved.

But another user still had the problem even after removing the profile up to 4 times.
The company that is upgrade the Autodesk software sad that Vault is connection on port 80.

So we went in to internet explorer en changed the proxy settings.
Unmarked “Automatically detect settings”

Marked “Use automatic configuration script” because where using  a proxy.pac file.
But if you use Proxy server settings it would work the same

And all the problems seems to be solved. 

Message 22 of 49
mollons
in reply to: Rednas79

I have reproduced this and am working to get some detailed logs of the client-server behaviour to the development team. I will update everyone when I know more.

Scott Mollon
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help Wiki!
Message 23 of 49
mdurst
in reply to: mollons

I am also having this same issue for one of my clients.  I have since logged a case with Autodesk after reading this post.  I'm hoping by doing so, this will hurry along a fix for this.  Anyone that is having the issue should log a case at the Partner Portal, so they can really see how many people are experiencing this.

Old Server

Windows Server 2003

SQL 2005 Standard SP4

Vault 2010 (Basic)

New Server

Windows Server 2008 R2

SQL 2008 Standard R2 SP1

Vault 2013 (Basic)

Message 24 of 49
mollons
in reply to: mdurst

We've got a handle on the Vault Basic 2013 slow browsing performance issue. A hotfix is getting started. I don't have a release date for the hotfix yet.

Scott Mollon
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 25 of 49
mdurst

Please post back to this thread once the hotfix has been completed and released. Thanks Scott. ************************************************************************************************************************************************** Email Disclaimer: Information contained and transmitted by this e-mail (including any attachments) is confidential, proprietary and legally privileged data of Tata Technologies that is intended for use only by the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any review, use, dissemination, distribution, copying or printing of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. You are requested to delete this e-mail or any copies immediately and notify the sender by reply email. Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be timely, secure, error or virus-free. Tata Technologies does not accept any liability for virus infected email or errors or omissions or consequences which may arise as a result of this e-mail transmission. To know more about Tata Technologies please visit http://www.tatatechnologies.com ***********************************************************************************************************************************************
Message 26 of 49
svillaire

Will this hotfix address the slow performance when using the Open from Vault add-in within Inventor? This is the biggest pain point for our users.
Message 27 of 49
mollons
in reply to: svillaire

Are you using Vault Basic? If so, it should.

Scott Mollon
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 28 of 49
lennart.losjo

Hi

This is my input.

Brand new server

12 GB ram (assigned)

3 cores (assigned)

Full SQL 2008

Vault Basic

My customer have very slow performance.

A folder with 1022 files in it take about 42 seconds to view.

A folder with 252 files take about 10 seconds to view.

We have done all the maintnence i the maitnence plan, tryed different ram in the server.

We have set up a new test server, restored the backup on that one, but there is practicly no difference between them.

We also created a new vault(not a new database) an the customer checked in 192 files in to that one, but it still takes about 7 seconds to show these files.

The next step maby will be to create a new empty autodesVault database and check in some testfiles on that one.

And we really looking forward to this hotfix.

Here is the timings when we browse the vault

Designs\Inventor\foldername 978 files 53 s
Designs\Inventor\foldername 1022 files 62 s
Designs\Inventor\foldername 50 790 files 48 s
Designs\projekt\proj12\foldername\80305 Nytt system\mek 418 files 27 s
Designs\Inventor\Komponenter\Pneumatik 252 files 16 sek
Designs\Inventor\Komponenter\motorer 101 files 7 sek

Regards

Lennart Losjö

Application Engineer

Message 29 of 49
daniel.marcus

Hi Scott,

Do you have any more information about the release date for the hotfix?

We have a couple of customers with Vault 2013 that are getting more and more irritated on this issue with slow perfomrance.

Kind Regards
Daniel Marcus
Sales

Cadcraft                      

Brinellgatan 1
504 62  BORÅS
Switch: 033-205000 Direct: 033-205018 Mobile: 070-4334142
E-mail: daniel.marcus@cadcraft.se
Homepage: www.cadcraft.se

Message 30 of 49
rikard

We also have some customers with the same problem with slow performance in Basic Vault.

On Vault Collaboration it seems not to be the same problem in the browser. But in the Webclient a search is several times slower than 2011.

Message 31 of 49
mollons
in reply to: rikard

I can't give a release date for the hotfix.

I can say that we know what the problem is, we have a proposed fix, and are in the process of testing and then packaging the fix for a hotfix.

This hotifx will not address slowness on vault editions other than Vault Basic 2013 (and add-ins).

Scott Mollon
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 32 of 49
svillaire

Any update on the hotfix?

Message 33 of 49
JohnHuber

It has been approved and should be posted very soon.

Regards,

John Huber
Engineering Escalation Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 34 of 49
mollons
in reply to: JohnHuber

The hotfix is now available for download.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=19857773&linkID=9261341

Scott Mollon
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 35 of 49
allee

Thank you!

Hot fix has been run, and so far so good. Folders are completely populating within seconds.

Al

Message 36 of 49
mdurst

I have also applied the hotfix and have noticed a big difference.  Thank you Autodesk.

Message 37 of 49
Standing1
in reply to: mdurst

I am having slow times with an associate using Autodesk Vault work group. I have installed all hot fixes, including the one listed above. I have re-install Autodesk Vault work group on the machine with no improvement. Our IT group has confirmed that the slowness is not a network or switch issue.  

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Message 38 of 49
DrewF

I concur with with the previous post. We have installed this hotfix with no positive results. Interestingly enough, our network gurus see a very slow reponse time on certain clients with the port 80 traffic to our vault server. It also appears that the packet sizes are sub-optimal for TCPIP packets. I would be happy to work with anyone from Autodesk to share the information that we have on this problem with Vault 2013 clients. You can contact my supervisor John Arndt at 916-939-4760 to discuss our fact finding and data gathering. 

Message 39 of 49
Rednas79
in reply to: DrewF

Im not sure how vault connect to the server but if its using port 80 then its using the computers internet explorer proxy settings.

And every time the program connects to the server its using this settings. Vault is trying to get the system proxy settings but cant find it.

Change the internet explorer proxy settings "Automatically detect settings"

Restart Vault and give it a spin.

Message 40 of 49
DrewF

There is definitely an issue with our proxy server and settings for the individuals affected. I suspect Vault workgroup is checking Autodesk central for updates, and these individuals aren't properly authenticating through our proxy server. If I turn -off- the proxy server, Vault workgroup works fast and snappy. I'll update here when I get a resolution. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report