Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Slow Performance Vault Explorer 2013

48 REPLIES 48
Message 1 of 49
svillaire
4711 Views, 48 Replies

Very Slow Performance Vault Explorer 2013

We recently upgraded our Vault Server to 2013 (ADMS).  New high powered Dell Precision T5500 workstations were deployed with AutoDesk Inventor Suite 2013.  When users attempt to open a file from the Vault using the Inventor vault add-in or Vault explorer, the process is extremely slow.   The grid takes approximately 1 minute for the files to populate, then 30-45 seconds for each subsequent subfolders. 

Granted the folder and file structure is large with 1000’s of drawings, but we never had this issue with Vault 2012 using old out dated workstations.

I was expecting a major performance increase with the new workstations, but we are experiencing the opposite.

Here are the details of the Vault Server:

Dell PowerEdge R510

Dual Xeon Processors 2.66GHz

48GB Ram

Full SQL Server 2008R2

Windows Server 2008R2 Enterprise

1 Vault, 1 Library

Total size of vaults (SQL Databases) 3.61GB

Total size of libraries (SQL Databases) 750MB

Total size of file store 62.94GB

Number of files in data store 187,732

Steps taken to try and speed up browsing of files in Vault:

• Full SQL Maintenance Plan runs every evening
  • Manually defragment database through ADMS (ADMS almost always says Defragmentation Recommended)
  • Restart SQL Server
  • Re-Index File Properties
  • Updated File Status
  • Disabled McAfee Anti-Virus on Server and Clients

Please help!

Thanks,

Shawn

48 REPLIES 48
Message 2 of 49
peter
in reply to: svillaire

I am experiencing the same thing. It takes 10X longer to populate the grid it 2013 then it did in 2012. It used to only take a few seconds but now its taking a minute or more. Very frustrating.

Message 3 of 49
mollons
in reply to: peter

We are looking into this issue.

Any and all information as to the behaviour you are experiencing is very helpful.

A video of the slow performance if possible would also be helpful to get a first hand view of the slow performance.

Scott Mollon
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help Wiki!
Message 4 of 49
allee

We are experiencing the same thing. Where Vault Explorer 2012 took seconds to completely populate a directory, now in 2013 for the same directory it takes almost five minutes. The same thing happens navigating between directory folders, and when using the 'refresh' button.

Al

Message 5 of 49
peter

Here's something that might help in navigating through the vault browser until a fix is found. Switch the view from "Default View" to "Paged View". This will limit vault to indexing only 100 files at a time.

Paged View.png

Message 6 of 49
mollons

For those having the slow browsing experience...

Could you try closing the property grid (if you have it open) and see if browsing becomes any faster?

Scott Mollon
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 49
peter
in reply to: mollons

@mollons wrote:

For those having the slow browsing experience...

Could you try closing the property grid (if you have it open) and see if browsing becomes any faster?

Not sure exactly what you mean here. Could you explain? Thanks.

Message 8 of 49
JamesMcMullen

I believe what Scott is talking about is the Property grid that is on the right side of the main viewing area.  You can get to this option by select "View" on the main menu followed by "View Property Grid".  His suggestion is to make sure that option is unchecked and see if that helps your performance.

-Jim

James McMullen
Principal SQA Eng.
Message 9 of 49

I can add that vault is working much faster when the PROP grid is off. 

Now what ? 

Thanks

Dan 

Message 10 of 49
mollons
in reply to: Dan_Margulius

Would it be possible to get a video of the difference?

The reason I ask is that it would be good to see the actual behaviour and your steps with the grid enabled and disabled.

We are having trouble tracking this down and being able to see your actual problem would be incredibly helpful.

Scott Mollon
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 49
Dan_Margulius

This is what I see. Sometimes it is even more anoying. Mind also that when i click a file I am om the history tab and not preview. Thats because it is even worst when Preview is the default tab 

http://screencast.com/t/y8RUWLOXKcN6

Dan

Message 12 of 49
allee

We only have Vault Basic, which doesn't have the property grid feature.

My Vault explorer client shows the navigation and preview panes (with the preview pane defaulted to the 'history' tab). I've limited the file window to only show the Vault status icon, the file type icon, and the filename; the refresh speed is slightly faster than when there are more file properties listed... Still very slow though, on the order of minutes.

Vault Basic 2012 for us was more or less instantaneous.

'Open From Vault' in Inventor and AutoCAD is also very slow, but maybe a little faster than Vault explorer.

Listed below are the typical steps I take when searching for a file through Vault explorer:

- open Vault Basic.

- navigate to desired folder in navigation pane.

- wait for file pane to populate...

Message 13 of 49
jimmantle
in reply to: allee

Hopefully this can be fixed soon, 4 1/2 minutes to populate the contents of a folder in 2013, about 20 seconds in 2012. It's becoming a real pain.

Message 14 of 49
mollons
in reply to: jimmantle

A video of the slow browsing would be very helpful if someone could do that.

Also information about what vault edition and OS you are on would also be very helpful.

Scott Mollon
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 15 of 49
svillaire

I should be able to get some video and post it to Youtube within the next couple of days.

Message 16 of 49
mollons

One tool you could look into using is Jing by TechSmith.

It is a free install and allows you to save the video on the web and just post a link to it.

Others on the newsgroup have been using it and it works well.

Scott Mollon
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 17 of 49
peter
in reply to: Dan_Margulius

Here is the video

I am running Vault Basic 2013 on

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Intel Core i7-3820 @ 3.6GHz

16GB RAM

Message 18 of 49
jimmantle

We are using Product Design Suite Ultimate 2013 64 bit / vault 2013 basic. My computer is a Dell Precision T3500, Xeon W3580, 24 gigs, ATI 5850, Win 7 Pro. I don't have video capture software on my computer but one thing we did discover is that temporarily disabling the virus software (AVG 2012) reduces the time it takes to populate one of our larger folders to not much longer than it took with Vault 2012. (3+ minutes to under 1 minute on one large folder) Nothing changed as far as hardware or software when we upgraded from 2012 to 2013 other than the Autodesk package. We have not changed any settings on the Virus software. Regards Jim Mantle Engineering Manager T-mar Industries Ltd (250) 286-9509
Message 19 of 49
mbodnar

Hi

I am experiencing the same performance issue here

Vault basic 2013 installed new on Windows 2008 Server R2 + SQL Express 2008 R2, 16GB RAM

Displaying a folder with 178 objects takes 35 seconds on the default view

With the Paged View it takes 6 seconds. An improvement but I think still too slow for only 200 objects

Max Bodnar

Message 20 of 49
mbodnar

Just tested Vault basic client 2012 connecting to the same server Vault basic and selecting the same folder with 178 objects comes up in 1 sec.

Must be something wrong with the Vault client 2013

Note; I applied Vault client hotfixes DL19384851 and DL18674074

Max Bodnar

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report