Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault Workgroups 2010 - Restore old version

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
pdnm1
1717 Views, 8 Replies

Vault Workgroups 2010 - Restore old version

I'm still looking for this answer but haven't found anything yet, so here goes:

I've got an assembly file that was set to Released (locked) state at Revision 3. That file was pulled out and put into Work In Progress state for changes. This bumps the secondary revision to 3_A.

Changes were made and saved to Vault, then the user was informed to make a new assembly instead of revising that assembly.

So now, I need to purge or delete the current 3_A (WIP) versions of the assembly files and thus make the older Revision 3 state models as the current versions in Vault.

I know this was easier and available in base Vault, but for the life of me I can't find a way to do this in Workgroups. I also understand that with the Rev control of Workgroups, this function can not and should not be performed. Such as with actual Released states, i.e. any file that is in a "locked" or a "milestone" state, but for versions that are in a free state such as WIP, the Admin should have this ability.
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: pdnm1

Unfortunately, at this point in time we do not support rolling back a
revision. It is something that we would like to do in the future.

-Jim

"pdnm1" wrote in message news:6243715@discussion.autodesk.com:

> I'm still looking for this answer but haven't found anything yet, so here goes:
>
> I've got an assembly file that was set to Released (locked) state at Revision 3. That file was pulled out and put into Work In Progress state for changes. This bumps the secondary revision to 3_A.
>
> Changes were made and saved to Vault, then the user was informed to make a new assembly instead of revising that assembly.
>
> So now, I need to purge or delete the current 3_A (WIP) versions of the assembly files and thus make the older Revision 3 state models as the current versions in Vault.
>
> I know this was easier and available in base Vault, but for the life of me I can't find a way to do this in Workgroups. I also understand that with the Rev control of Workgroups, this function can not and should not be performed. Such as with actual Released states, i.e. any file that is in a "locked" or a "milestone" state, but for versions that are in a free state such as WIP, the Admin should have this ability.
Message 3 of 9
pdnm1

Jim,

This isn't a Revision roll back, more of a version roll back.

Again, I can understand not being able to roll back a released revision since that is an actual "milestone", this is not, it's simply a "snapshot" between "milestones"...if that makes any sense.

Base Vault has the ability to remove or roll back versions, Workgroups should have the same ability.
Message 4 of 9
olearya

I believe the best work around here is to create a new revision based on the old file versions.

The workflow to do this has intentionally been changed to cater for release bias and is less obvious than it was in the old base Vault - for good reason, it still can be done though.

You will need to get the previous release of the assembly and its parts to the local machine, change the lifecycle state of the files to WIP and check them out without updating, save and check back in as the new revision.

So 3_A will now become "4" and create notes to the effect that the design was reverted.

There is some other discussion threads on this including: http://discussion.autodesk.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=731958&tstart=60 which may be of use to you.

Here are some basic steps:

1. Check out assembly and files to be changed (no need to get local)
2. Go to the history tab in Vault explorer
3. Select the older released version and "Get / Checkout"
4. make sure release bias is on and you select download (check-out already done in step 1)
5. Go to Inventor and open the local copy of the files, save the assembly with the correct old versions
6. Check-in old versions as latest and release with new revision.

Your new rev should be the same as the previous.

Please let me know if you have issue with these steps, if I have missed any or if I have misunderstood your intent.

Cheers,

Allan (Autodesk)

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 9
pdnm1

Allen,

Thanks.
That's basically what I've done except for creating it as the next revision. Doinf such would really create a mess here in our other/related paperwork.
So as it stands, this file is in Released state in Vault as 3_A. That way, when the day comes that we do need to revise this file, revision 4 will still be available as the next revision.

Again, there needs to be a way for the Vault Admin to have the ability to remove incremental versions even if one is the current version.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

Actually once the revision is created (and possibly has relationships to
it) we would consider it a rollback.
It does not matter if it is released or not.

I understand your need and you are correct Vault should allow this.
Hopefully we can provide this in the future.

Question:
Would it be acceptable if the workflow made revision 3 as the "tip"
revision but Rev 3_A still existed in history?

Mikel Martin
Autodesk Data Management
Product Design Lead

-----Original Message-----
Posted At: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 7:08 PM
Posted To: autodesk.vault
Conversation: Vault Workgroups 2010 - Restore old version
Subject: Re: Vault Workgroups 2010 - Restore old version

Jim,

This isn't a Revision roll back, more of a version roll back.

Again, I can understand not being able to roll back a released revision
since that is an actual "milestone", this is not, it's simply a
"snapshot" between "milestones"...if that makes any sense.

Base Vault has the ability to remove or roll back versions, Workgroups
should have the same ability.
Message 7 of 9
bschupbach
in reply to: Anonymous

Agreed, rolling back a version and/or revision is a major need.  Has this been improved for 2011 or 2012 Vault Pro?

Thanks,

Brian

Message 8 of 9
jschmidt

This functionality is still missing in version 2013.  I'm very disappointed that after several years of asking for this it still isnt a feature?  What does Autodesk plan to do to fix this?

Message 9 of 9
Frodl
in reply to: jschmidt

This is a Funktion in VAULT 2017 now.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report