Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault status INCORRECT after renaming file

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
karthur1
755 Views, 8 Replies

Vault status INCORRECT after renaming file

Just ran across something when I was changing the part number on a purchased part.  After I changed the part number using VE, Vault showed that I had the current assembly file (white dot in Vault browser).  When I opened the assembly, the assembly still showed the old part number.

I closed the assembly and went back to vault explorer. Got the latest assembly file and opened it again in Inventor. Now it shows the correct part.

This is a MAJOR problem and could cause the wrong parts to get purchased or manufactured. After I renamed the part, the assembly should have shown a RED dot indicating that my local copy is out of date.  It could also cause the latest version to be overwritten by some other unsuspecting user that "Thought" that they have the latest version and check in a different change on the assembly.

I dont ever remember vault doing this before.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
mikel_martin
in reply to: karthur1

The assembly itself should not show an "out of date" status. The component being renamed should.

A couple questions.

Was the assembly already open in Inventor? If so did you do a refresh?

When you did an open did you use the Open from Vault or the Inventor open command?

Mikel Martin
User Experience Architect
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 9
karthur1
in reply to: mikel_martin

@mikel_martin wrote:

The assembly itself should not show an "out of date" status. The component being renamed should.

A couple questions.

Was the assembly already open in Inventor? If so did you do a refresh?

When you did an open did you use the Open from Vault or the Inventor open command?

.."The component being renamed should" - That didnt happen.  When I renamed the part, the status changed to no local copy (no dot in status column).  Seems like the assembly should be out of date because the file that the assembly references has changed.

The assembly was not open in Inventor.

When I opened it, no I did not do an open from Vault, I just used the Inventor open command.  Why should I have used the open from vault.  The vault status said I had the current assembly.

Message 4 of 9
karthur1

When I renamed the part, The vault status changed to no local copy....  I see now what you are saying about the status of the part should have changed to out of date.  It did that in the Inventor Assembly browser, but the vault status is no local copy.

Now that doesnt seem right either.  Inventor shows one thing and Vault shows something different for the same part.

Message 5 of 9
mikel_martin

The reason you are seeing two different icons;

What Vault Explorer is showing is the status of the Vault file as related to file on disk. Which file? The file on disk that matches the new name. Which does not exist unless you re-download it.

When you open the assembly the part file is showing the status of the specfic file on disk that is being used, relative to the data in the Vault. We are able to know that the file on disk is actually a file in Vault with a new name, and show the red icon.

Mikel Martin
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 6 of 9
karthur1

I see what your saying... sort of.

This workflow had to have changed in 2012. I thought that vault would increment the version if one of the children was renamed and it would then be out of date. Why does Vault not show as out-of-date after the rename.  Is it because of versions?

In my work, when I change the part number of a part in an assembly, then I have to make a revision to the drawing.  If I told production planning... "Oh, I didnt rev the drawing cause its the same part, just a different part number".  They would laugh me out the front gate.  I'm sorry, but I think both browsers have to show the same thing and the iam should show out of date in VE after the rename.

Did this workflow change in Vault 2012? I dont remember it bn this way in 2011.

Message 7 of 9
mikel_martin

It did change in 2012.

We no longer version the parent when you rename or move the child component.

We instead fix the relationships whenever the parent file is downloaded. This includes workflows that would download the files but dont because it is already on disk. At this point we check to see if the relationship needs to be updated and we change the file to reflect the change.

If a normal open (not open from Vault) is used, Inventor will resolve to the old file name still on disk. The status will show that the renamed file is out of date, even though no version was created and the name is incorrect. You can then refresh the file through Vault workflows and new file will be downloaded.

We made this change because Move/Rename could only repair latest versions of the files that the user had access to check-out. So if someone renamed a component that was used in several hundred assemblies, not only would it take a long time, it would likely be a blocked operation if for any reason that use could not checkout all of those assemblies.

Hope this helps.

Mikel Martin
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 8 of 9
karthur1

@mikel_martin wrote:

....If a normal open (not open from Vault) is used, Inventor will resolve to the old file name still on disk. The status will show that the renamed file is out of date, even though no version was created and the name is incorrect. You can then refresh the file through Vault workflows and new file will be downloaded....

Thats the problem... the unsuspecting user will never know there has been a change unless he digs trough the vault assembly browser looking for a change. Say that after I renamed my part, another user (that has a local copy of the iam) needs to release a print of the assembly to manufacturing.  He goes to vault, finds the idw and the iam. Both of them display a solid white dot in his vault browser. He thinks, "Cool, I'm good", kicks back over to Inventor and opens the idw. Prints it and releases it to build 12,515 of the assemblies.... You see where I'm going?  We just purchased 12,515 of the wrong part ! He gets fired, I get fired, plant closes and we dont buy any more subscriptions of Inventor... : )

Yes, he could have used "Open from Vault", but he was in a hurry. Inventor also knows that the file is out of date when he opened the file.... how about a prompt (one we can suppress,please) telling him that?

Message 9 of 9
crsample

"Just ran across something when I was changing the part number on a purchased part.  After I changed the part number using VE, Vault showed that I had the current assembly file (white dot in Vault browser).  When I opened the assembly, the assembly still showed the old part number.

I closed the assembly and went back to vault explorer. Got the latest assembly file and opened it again in Inventor. Now it shows the correct part.

This is a MAJOR problem and could cause the wrong parts to get purchased or manufactured. After I renamed the part, the assembly should have shown a RED dot indicating that my local copy is out of date.  It could also cause the latest version to be overwritten by some other unsuspecting user that "Thought" that they have the latest version and check in a different change on the assembly.

I dont ever remember vault doing this before."

I agree completely.  If a file is changed in the Vault, as is the case for the updated assembly file, it should be obvious in Vault that it has been changed. 

"We made this change because Move/Rename could only repair latest versions of the files that the user had access to check-out. So if someone renamed a component that was used in several hundred assemblies, not only would it take a long time, it would likely be a blocked operation if for any reason that use could not checkout all of those assemblies."

If you don't have access to check out the required files, then you should not be trying to change them. 

Please return to the pre 2012 rename functionality, even if it is only an option that could be set by the Vault administrator.  This is cause our company problems!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report