Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault setup with old files

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
swright_CAD
342 Views, 3 Replies

Vault setup with old files

My company is about to take the plunge and start using Vault, I have two questions that I can't seem to find a good answer on.

We have about 3 years of parts that were done with inventor under indiviual projects, with identical names for hundreds of parts. Most of what we design and build is not revisited by the designers once it is installed but it does happen. My current thinking is to start fresh with the Vault install, all new jobs with get made through Vault, and the old ones will remain on the server but not in the Vault. When we do need to access an old job we will intigrate it into the Vault at theat point and rename any files that are needed.

1. Does this seem like a good approach for managing the old files?

Backing up with Vault

I have a test vault set up that I have been using and backing up for about a week or so with good results. As my work as never had Vault before all of our current files are saved in windows folders. When vault backs up it renames all items and removes and folder structure that was present in Vault.

2. Is there a way to have Vault back up files in a way that keeps all of the file names and folder structure? 

Thanks for the help guys,

Scott

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Neil_Cross
in reply to: swright_CAD

Hi Scott, welcome to the world of Vault Smiley LOL

Deciding what to do with old files in a new Vault is always tricky, I think your suggestion is the most time efficient.  Whenever I've done initial Vault builds for new customers, I tend to ask exactly what you've said... if they don't revisit those old files regularly, keep them away from Vault.  If they will use those files or they're still active projects, then we'll put them in.  Vault is rightfully very fussy about what goes in and how it goes in, if there's missing files or broken links in any assemblies/drawings it can be really time consuming to fix that and it isn't worth it if the files aren't going to be used.

+1 for respecting the duplicate naming issue, if you can, try and stick to it even if it causes a bit more work.  Always keep 'enforce unique file names' enabled, the time it takes to rename files before checking them in is insignificant when compared to what you have to do to fix dodgy duplicates.

The backup question needs a bit of an explanation.

Vault is made up of a database and a filestore.  When you're browsing Vault folders using the Vault client, you're not looking at folders like you're used to seeing in Windows.  You're essentially looking at the inside of the database, presented to you in the form of recognisable folders.  When you check a file into Vault, the actual file itself is dispersed into the filestore which is an encrypted folder layout that makes no sense if you browse into it.

When Vault backs up, it backs up the database and the filestore.  When you look into the backup folder and you see all the folders 000\000\000\002 etc you're looking at the encrypted filestore, there's no way to visually see your source original Vault folder structure anywhere outside of the Vault program.  Hope that makes sense?

For clarity, when you use that backup to restore your Vault, it will still be the same folder structure as you have now even though you can't see that in the backup folder.

Message 3 of 4
swright_CAD

Thanks for the response. Dealing with the old files will be a challenge and we only have 3 years worth! I can't imagine what larger companies would have to do.

I understand that vault keeps everything in database form, I just wasn't sure if there was a way to have it do the back as a typical folder structure, doesn't look like it.
Message 4 of 4
Neil_Cross

Nah definitely not possible, the ADMS console backup is set in stone and has been pretty much the same for knocking on 10+ years.  

Take a look at the 'Vault Mirror' app which might do what you're hoping to achieve:

Vault Mirror

It's an official Autodesk app & free so it's safe to try out.  Obviously editing the files created via the mirror won't update what's in Vault, but it might do for you whatever it is you're wanting.

* Edit - The link above is for Vault Mirror 2013, search the app store to find the 2014 & 2015 versions.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report