Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault Server 2013 Install help.

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
cbenner
1280 Views, 8 Replies

Vault Server 2013 Install help.

Hi.

Our CAD server, where the Vault resides, is currently running SQL Server 2005.  I was under the impression from various sources, that the Vault Server 2013 Install was supposed to upgrade the SQL server software to the 2008 version needed for Vault to run.

Our first attempt at this yesterday, came to a screeching halt.  Once SQL 2005 was detected, the install program quit.  An attempt to manually upgrade the SQL server to 2008 was also unsuccessful because the AUTODESKVAULT database was still loaded in 2005.  My reseller suggested uninstalling all of 2005 including that d-base (we DO have a clean backup), and starting fresh.... but for some reason that d-base would not uninstall... the uninstall program just kept shutting down.

We called it quits, and decided to do a complete restore back to the time of our last backup... which was only minutes before this attempt.  Due to a massive hardware failure (coincidence, I hope)... this is now on hold.  This gives me time to ask:  Based on the description above,... where did I go wrong?  What would be my recommended workflow for attempt #2 once I have a new server?

AutoCAD 2011, IV 2011 Pro SP2 Tube and Pipe - Frame Generator, Vault Pro 2011 Win 7 x64, Dell precision PWS690, GeForce GTX580

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
DarrenP
in reply to: cbenner

are you going from 2005 express to 2008 express or 2005 full to 2008 full sql

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 9
cbenner
in reply to: DarrenP
Message 4 of 9
DarrenP

if your going to 2008 express the manual upgrade shoud have worked

how did you manually try to  upgrade it?

did you use the vault server disk?

DarrenP
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 9
cbenner

Yes, on the Vault Server install disk is a SQL folder that had a Setup.exe... I ran that and it really looked like it was working, it said that it was upgrading to the release and SP level that the documentation on the Wiki site says Vault 2013 requires.  So, I re-ran the Vault install, and it still errored out.  This is what I got:

sql-1.JPG

I sent this to our reseller, and he advised me to uninstall SQL completely, and then the Vault Install disk would see that there was no SQL and do a clean install.  He also suggested uninstalling (as part of the above) the Vault database... then restore it later.  Attempting to do that wasn't working for some reason, and we decided to give up for the day and just restore back to where we started.... and attack it fresh after I got some more information.  That's where we sit right now... except that in the meantime the server itself blew a capacitor! 

I'm not an IT guy... just a CAD monkey, but I like to think a reasonably intelligent CAD monkey.

Message 6 of 9
DarrenP

i've never seen that error before

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 8 of 9
DarrenP

i found this: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Vault/Vautl-Server-2012-Installation-Failure/m-p/3195988/high...

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 9 of 9
cbenner

Wow... thanks!  This might be a big help.  I should have done that search first thing.  Guess I'm preoccupied with the server having self destructed.

Thanks Darren.  I'll keep you posted once I get a chance to try this stuff out next week.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report