Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault renamed a file without prompting upon check-in

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
bcrowell
258 Views, 6 Replies

Vault renamed a file without prompting upon check-in

A coworker and I were working on getting drawings for an assembly together. As we met in the middle, we both ended up working on the same part drawing.  I had checked in my drawing very early in the creation, and decided to use the cowrker's drawing since his was further along.  I deleted mine from Vault, and when he went to check his file in it named it with a "-1" at the end, without any intervention from us.

The "-1" happened several times.  When I tried to test the scenario by creating a part and drawing, checking them into Vault and had him create a part with the same name and try to check it into Vault, we then got an error saying that the Vault status was unknown.  We couldn't get the part to even try and check, much less get the error that the part already existed in Vault or a new part in Vault with a "-1" at the end.

I'm trying to figure out why it added the "-1" and why the test file's Vault status was unknown.

INV Professional 2017 (Build: 142, Release: 2017RTM), Windows 10 Professional (64-bit), Intel Xeon E5-1620 3.5GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K2200, Vault Basic 2017
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mikel_martin
in reply to: bcrowell

To my knowledge Vault does not rename files automatically.

If this is is happening and you can recreate it, then I would contact support.

Mikel Martin
User Experience Architect
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 7
bcrowell
in reply to: mikel_martin

That was my thought as well- I couldn't think of an instance where it
should ever change the name. I figured we should get an error saying the
file already existed in Vault if it had been there at the same time as the
original file.
INV Professional 2017 (Build: 142, Release: 2017RTM), Windows 10 Professional (64-bit), Intel Xeon E5-1620 3.5GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K2200, Vault Basic 2017
Message 4 of 7
swalton

I have had Inventor add a -1 to the end of an idw filename every so often.  It has been less than 100 or so times over the 8-9 years that I have been using Inventor so I never worry about it.  I just close the file and correct the name and re-open.

Not sure if this is your issue, but I would just rename the file and move on. 

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 5 of 7
bcrowell
in reply to: swalton

It's been about 5 or 6 times now in less than a day (about a third of the new guy's files), so we seem to be headed on a pretty frequent path...

Message 6 of 7
swalton

I am reaching a bit here, but is your workspace on a local drive or on a network drive? 

You might try working disconnected from Vault for a while and see if that user still gets the odd file names.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 7 of 7
bcrowell
in reply to: swalton

I'm sorry for the late reply- I thought I had already sent this.

The user is working locally when he is saving the files and having the -1 issue, but is signed in to Vault (which sits on a network drive).

It has happened several times since I last posted.  Thankfully he is looking for it, but it can certainly cause a disparity between the file name and the drawing.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report