Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault Pro Subscription Update

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
cmcconnell
270 Views, 4 Replies

Vault Pro Subscription Update

We recently installed the Subscription Update with our Vault. We are now seeing some strange Get Latest behavior.

In our office, we have models that contain both released and unreleased files. Before the update, we would just let Inventor edit released files out of turn (as it needed to make changes for no  apparent reason). All of my users are religious about getting latest from vault so this worked.

Since the  update, the yellow gliph has changed to a green circle and there is also a + at the end of the file in the browser when it is edited out of turn. The problem is - getting latest from vault does not overwrite these files any longer. the files edited out of turn on our local machines are taking precidence over our released vault files. in order to ensure we are working with released data, we must clear our local and download the entire dataset all the time.

Is this behavior as designed? if so, this is a fundamental deviation from vaults previous function.

Mechanix Design Solutions inc.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
achintam
in reply to: cmcconnell

Hello,

If the version on disk matches the version that you are attempting to Get from Vault, we will not download the file from Vault even if the local file has been modifed on disk. This is As Designed because, Inventor may dirty the file again upon download. Or the local edits may have been made by the user and we want to prevent user from overwriting those edits unintentionally.

However, you can overwrite those files by using the Force Overwrite command on the Get / Check Out dialog from Vault Explorer. Invoke Get / Check Out on the file from Vault Explorer, expand the dialog to see details, select Force Overwrite option from the drop down for Working folders.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Anil Chintamaneni (Autodesk)

Message 3 of 5
mbodnar
in reply to: cmcconnell

Hi

I have noticed that as well. A get latest from Inventor, or/and get latest from Vault does not overwrite local file when it appears as green circle.

Need to delete local WS file and get again from Vault. Not sure how that is an improvement. Would also be interested in explanation behind the new workflow

Regards

Max B

Message 4 of 5
mikel_martin
in reply to: achintam

To add to Anil's post...

If you are seeing a behavior where you are not getting newer versions from Vault, when the local file has been modified, that would be a defect.

Please let us know if you beleive this is what you are seeing.

Mikel Martin
User Experience Architect
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 5
cmcconnell
in reply to: mikel_martin

So, newer versions in Vault will overwrite files on my local? This is intended to limit the overhead of a compute each time I open the same dataset? If that works, I think that will be acceptable.

I see that the force overwrite setting is not maintained - why does Vault development insist on architecting this way??!?! Do you own shares in a company that makes mice? 1 of 2 things needs to happen (I have suggested this so many times - I am going to give up after this): 1 - have the settings that are buried in the bottom of that dialog remember their setting (like they used to be prior to 2010(?)) or 2 - move them out of the pits of that dialog. It takes me 3 extra clicks each time I want to force overwrite - Why???? Same thing if i want to check out without downloading.

This is starting to turn into a rant so I will quit. Feel free to contact me offline if you want the rest of it. (you have heard most of it before)

Mechanix Design Solutions inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report