Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault Pro Server 2015 beinbg accessed from a 2014 client base

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
tahdesign1
304 Views, 4 Replies

Vault Pro Server 2015 beinbg accessed from a 2014 client base

So I am about to upgrade to Vault Pro 2015 but still have a 2014 based clients for a while.

I have already done a test upgrade and everything seemed to work fine.

In the test up grade I ended up with a Vault Pro 2015 server running on Windows Server 2012 R2

My Client and all of my add-ins were still at the 2014 level. All seemed to work.

However, now I am developing deployments for the softwares and have questions now that I come to the Vault Pro 2014 client.

When selecting the add-ins to install each one of them states that they ONLY work with Vault Server 2014!!!

2014.jpg

However, I have already proved that to not be the case and have been told my many members here that accessing a 2015 vault with 2014 clients is support. So I am confused by this statement in the install dialog box.

Also, I am going from 2012 all the way to 2015, no SP on the server. I have a specific path that seems to have worked (many steps).

However I will be running a 2014 client base until I am ready to pull our design softwares up to 2015.

In installing the 2014 Client should I avoid applying SP2 at the install?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
tmoney2007
in reply to: tahdesign1

I'm guessing that this is a warning that is left over from when 2014 was the latest and greatest.

If you have tested it and found it to work for all of your needs (and the documentation supports it) you don't need to worry about this warning.
Message 3 of 5
tahdesign1
in reply to: tmoney2007

So to use Vault 2014 Pro Client SP2 or not?

Message 4 of 5
ihayesjr
in reply to: tahdesign1

Yes, install Vault 2014 SP2 on the client.

We place the following statements in our 2015 release.

Support for Prior Vault Clients and Add-Ins

• The Vault 2015 ADMS supports the use of any Vault 2013 release and Vault 2014 release clients which match the Vault edition of ADMS.
  • The Vault 2015 ADMS supports the use of any Vault 2013 release and Vault 2014 release Add-Ins.
  • It is not recommended to administer Vault or Global settings through an older client. All administration of Vault and Global settings should be done through ADMS Console or a Vault client of the same release as the Vault server.
  • New functionality available in Vault 2015 will not be available in older Vault clients and Add-Ins.
  • Vault 2015 clients no longer display the ownership icon when another site has ownership of an entity but the lease has expired. As a result older clients will also not see the ownership icon. However, older Vault clients do not automatically request ownership if the other site's lease has expired as Vault 2015 clients do. As a result, Users with older Vault clients may experience errors opening, checking out, or performing other operations on files which appear to be owned locally. In these cases, the user should manually request ownership and try the operation again.

• Some functionality in a Vault 2015 client may not work when only an older version of the CAD application is installed or if an older version of the CAD application was last run. Running Inventor View 2015 or the 2015 version of the CAD application and then retrying the operation may resolve the issue.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Vault - Under the Hood Blog
Message 5 of 5
tahdesign1
in reply to: ihayesjr

OK so I have included VPC 2014 SP2 in my deployment.

But your reply raised a couple of more questions.

1) I am going from Vault Basic 2012 restoring Vault Basic 2014 upgrading to Vault Pro 2014 and final upgrading to Vault Pro 2015. For a while at least I will be running a 2014 client/add-in base and you say I should include the 2014 client SP2 in my deploy. I am passing through Vault Pro 2014 on my way to Vault Pro 2015, should I included SP2 for Vault Pro Server in that step or does going to Vault pro 2015 take care of that.

2) In the included txt from the readme me file it states that all Admin types of tasks should be done from either a Client that is the same release as the ADMS or from ADMS itself. I was not planning on deploying a 2015 Client to the users but I could put it on my machine just for said tasks. Is there any issue with a 2014 client and a 2015 client existing on the same machines looking at the same vault?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report