Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault Pro 2015 Files Store “_uploads” folder

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
orbjeff
977 Views, 10 Replies

Vault Pro 2015 Files Store “_uploads” folder

We are in the process of loading thousands of files into a Vault Pro 2015 server. After each batch of 50,000 files we try to run a backup of the Vault but will receive an error message during the backup process if there are any files remaining in the “_uploads” folder found within the file store location. The error message basically states that it can’t find a file located in the “_uploads” folder and it’s obvious that the reason is because that file was removed by another process (maybe the Job Dispatch Service?).

I’ve noticed it can take about 10 hours to clear this “_uploads” folder before we can finally get a successful backup. Stopping the Job Dispatch Service during a backup doesn’t work…

Are there any tips for getting the backup to complete while there are files in the “_uploads” folder?

Jeff Johnson
Technical Consultant
MasterGraphics Inc.
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
mark.cloyed
in reply to: orbjeff

I would ask an extended set of questions here.  Can anyone explain how the vault cleans up this _Uploads folder?  I am experiencing an issue where my backup routine is unable to delete out the old backup and leaves behind the _Uploads folder.  We have checked permissions on this folder and find that the account running the scheduled task has full control of this folder, inherited from above.  In some cases the files in this folder appear to be deleted, while others are not right away.  It seems that every day, there are a set of files in there at the time of the backup.  Is there any way to commit these files to the vault before the backup runs?

Thanks,
Mark

Regards,
Mark Cloyed
IMAGINiT Technologies
Message 3 of 11
paul.gunn
in reply to: mark.cloyed

Hi Mark,

In normal cases (file is uploaded and checked into ADMS), the files will be relocated within 5 minutes of successful checkin. In cases where (for some reason) the file uploaded is not checkedin, the file will be automatically deleted after 24 hours have passed. The only way to prevent files from being uploaded during backup would be the shut down or disable IIS..

Help this helps,

Paul

Message 4 of 11
mark.cloyed
in reply to: paul.gunn

Hi Paul,

Yes, this is very helpful.  My concern is not with users trying to upload files during the backup, but rather the files left in the uploads folder well beyond the 5 minute expectation.  As an example, I find a file in the Uploads folder now, dated 10-15-2014 3:53PM (yesterday).  I open the file to determine its real name and find that file in the vault.  I look at that file's history and see where it was initially vaulted 10-15-2014 at 2:42PM. The history shows some non-content versioning (prop edit and state change) and then the content was versioned at 3:27PM, with a final state change at 3:30PM.  I don't understand why there currently is a copy dated yesterday at 3:53PM still residing in the Uploads folder.  That is what appears to be hanging me up. 

To repeat and clarify, our backup routine hangs on the files in the Uploads folder, when it tries to delete them (along with the rest of yesterday's backup).  I am researching this from two angles 1) why are the files left behind, and 2) why can't our backup routine delete them anyway.  If you have any thoughts about either of these, I welcome your thoughts.

Thanks,
Mark

Regards,
Mark Cloyed
IMAGINiT Technologies
Message 5 of 11
paul.gunn

Hi Mark,

As mentioned, files that were uploaded but fail to checkin will be cleaned up in 24 hours. Files can fail to checkin for any number of reasons (security, etc.) so the presence of the file isn't necessarily a problem . You may be able to correlate the upload in the IIS logs to some server error in the vlogs based on the timing to determine root cause.

If you are trying to delete the _uploads folder in a previous backup, I'm not sure why that wouldn't be working. Vault doesn't operate on backup files or folders once the backup is done. You might want to check for other processes like antivirus, indexing, etc.

Paul

Message 6 of 11
mark.cloyed

Hi Paul,

Again, thanks for the reply.  To the best of my knowledge, the files that remain in the Uploads files were checked in.  If I open one of these temp files, I recognize the file and can quickly check the vault.  In all cases, I see the file in the vault, so I question why the temp file is left behind.  That said, I am looking at this from the point of view of wanting to simply delete an old backup, so I am also trying to determine why the programming isn't deleting those files.

Thanks.

Mark

Regards,
Mark Cloyed
IMAGINiT Technologies
Message 7 of 11
paul.gunn

Hi Mark,

It is hard to say exactly what is going on. However if the last checked in file version in Vault was at 3:27PM and the file was uploaded at  3:53PM, it would seem that particular file was not actually checked in. If it had been checked in then you would presumably see a vaulted version created around 3:53PM.

Paul

Message 8 of 11
paul.gunn

One other possibility :

If someone tries to checkin a file but nothing has changed, then no new version is created in Vault. In that case, the uploaded file would be unused - and would be cleaned up after the 24 hour window.

Paul

Message 9 of 11
mark.cloyed

I will check with my peers, but no one has reported any inconsistencies checking in files.  It appears to be accurately capturing all actions.  I can't say whether the temp files are different from the version in the vault.  I follow your logic with regard to the vaulted file at 3:27 and temp file at 3:53 would indicate that a pending upload has not yet occurred.  I haven't gotten the feeling that the vaulted file is inaccurate or incomplete, so I was questioning the validity or need for the temp file, but I do appreciate your perspective on how that set of transactions should occur.  Since some of our temp files are Word docs, I will do some comparison and see if they do indeed include changes that are not a part of the vaulted doc.

Thanks,
Mark

Regards,
Mark Cloyed
IMAGINiT Technologies
Message 10 of 11
mark.cloyed

I have an update on my issue.  We found that the files in the _Uploads folder were set to read-only.  We adjusted our application to take that into account, and now are getting a complete deletion of the old backups.  Thanks for all your help in tracking this down.

Thanks,
Mark

Regards,
Mark Cloyed
IMAGINiT Technologies
Tags (1)
Message 11 of 11
paul.gunn

No problem Mark,

Glad to hear that you found the solution.

Paul

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report