Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault migration from 2012 Basic To 2012 Pro

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
mikejones
379 Views, 9 Replies

Vault migration from 2012 Basic To 2012 Pro

We are in the process of upgrading Vault Basic (2012) Vault Pro (2012). Is there an issue with moving/migrating the existing project over to vault pro, it has been mentioned that the file history would be lost during the move and I'd like to know i this is correct.

Can somebody confirm or deny this before we make any changes? I can't believe that it would be the case but I would like to know first.

Mike

Autodesk Certified Professional
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
paul.gunn
in reply to: mikejones

Hi,

There should be no file history or any other data lost. All the update does really is add new database information and some minor data updates (e.g. assign existing files to the 'base' category). In general it is a good idea to take a backup before any sort of migration, but realistically this should not be a difficult update.

Paul

Message 3 of 10
mikel_martin
in reply to: mikejones

The file version history is not lost, it is all still there.

However, Vault Pro is built around the idea of Revisions and tries to minimize the versions information in the U.I.

Because of this, it can apear that your version history is gone, at first glance.

The version information is still available, its just a little more hidden.

Mikel Martin
User Experience Architect
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 4 of 10
lsmeed
in reply to: mikel_martin

Hi guys,

I work for the same company as Mike above and am involved in the migration.

In our situation we currently have vault basic installed on one server and we have vault professional installed on a seperate server. What we are wanting to do is migrate the data from the vault basic over to the vault pro.

Initially we were going to simply "get" the data off of one vault and "check-in" the data onto the other vault. Am I correct in thinking that this process woud lose the version history of the files?

If so, what would be the prefered method of migrating the data whilst maintaining the most data and version history? i.e. is there a migration/data transfer tool or process which I am not aware of for swapping the data in this way?

Lewis

Message 5 of 10
paul.gunn
in reply to: lsmeed

Hi,

The best solution would be to do a backup on the original server and the restore the backup on the new server. That  keeps all your data intact.

Paul

Message 6 of 10
mikel_martin

If the Vault Pro server is not yet in production then I would assume a backup of the Basic Server and a Restore to the Vault Pro server would work for you.

If both have data in them and you want to merge them together and maintain history, it can be tricky.

In these cases we typically recomend working with consulting.

Mikel Martin
User Experience Architect
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 7 of 10
lsmeed
in reply to: mikel_martin

I have been checking and it is the case that we have a clean vault pro with no data on it.

The reason we hadn't been going down the backup/restore route is that we had autodesk consulting it to "configure" our vault pro instance.

From what I understand the resistance to the backup/restore was coming from a worry that restoring an instance of our basic vault would get rid of the configuration which we have applied to the vault pro.

Is it a big job to "re-configure" the vault pro once the vault basic data has been restored onto it? Or is there a way to overlay the custom configuration of the vault pro which we have, over the restored vault basic data?

Thanks,

Lewis

Message 8 of 10
paul.gunn

Hi,

It is true that you would lose the custom configuration changes on backup and restore. There is functionality to import and export configuration in ADMS console - so that might be a possible option (i.e. export configuration in the new system, restore data from old system, then import the configuration file over the restored data). However I'm not sure that gives you everything you want - e.g. the configuration wouldn't be applied to the pre-existing data I don't think. You might want to do a few tests to see if this would be a workable solution before committing your production system.

Paul

Message 9 of 10
lsmeed
in reply to: paul.gunn

I believe some of the nervousness was with regards to how the configuration file was re-applied to the vault pro once the basic data had been restored to it. From what you are saying it sounds like the functionality to load the configuration file is quite well understood but not so muh with how it ill apply to existing data.

We will do some testing but do you think it would be that case that if we were to restore a backup of the basic data, import the configuration file and then re-index the vault this may give us the result we want?

Thanks,

Lewis 

Message 10 of 10
paul.gunn

Hi,

I'm not sure reindexing will give you what you want - for one thing, the files will not be in different categories or assigned to lifecycles (if that is what you are looking for). I think it really boils down to figuring out exactly what behavior you would like to see - which is why doing some hands-on experimentation in a test environment might help with.

Paul

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report