Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault-Inventor uploading not responding?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Laurent_91
1661 Views, 6 Replies

Vault-Inventor uploading not responding?

My first post here, so let me excuse myself if I put it in the wrong forum, but I think it fits best in the Vault forum.

The company I'm working yet, is changing from non restricted accessible network harddisks in a server to the Vault server, so the whole Vault stuff is new for us. Inventor is being used for some years yet. When we are downloading or uploading some drawings, it can take hours to get the job done. I think, sometimes an hour for downloading about 500 mb of data from the server is way to long. Uploading the same stuff. When saving and trying to upload directly from inventor, Inventor goes to non responding mode for about 5 to 10 minutes, the RAM usage of the computer raises to about 90%, all for Inventor and after this, it wants me to download all the other files from that project before the check in screen appears (example attachment). Fortunately, I can reject the downloading of all parts (why should I download some non checked out parts anyway?

When starting to check in an only partly checked out project, it takes, again, 10 minutes to become fully checked in again. When checking in the whole project, it takes even more time. Is this normal? An IT guy recently checked our network and server, cleaned it and says that this isn't a problem.

This does not appear on only 1 computer, all computers here are suffering with slow uploading. I can't imagine that this is the way Vault and Inventor should work and works anywhere else. The guys over here are getting sick of it and are complaining that they don't have any real advantages yet from our Vault installation and usage. Modyfing one or two parts is getting a hell of a job this way.

Thanks in advance for reading and trying to help me/us.

Laurent

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
karthur1
in reply to: Laurent_91

I would say that amount of time is excessive. When you are checking in files, do you have the "Create visualization attachment" checked?  This will slow down the check-in process.  You can find it under the "settings" button of the "Check-in" dialog. If you do not need the dwf files, then I would recommend turning this off.

2013-12-02_1112.png

One thing I noticed from your screen capture, is that you have the "Delete working copy" option checked.  That will also slow the check-in process down a little too, but not that much.  You might try checking in with that unchecked and see if it makes much of a difference for you.

Here is a link that shows what happens when I check-out, save and then check-in an iam file.  No where close to the 500mb you are talking about, but just to give you an idea.  http://screencast.com/t/UA02l4e6YR

Kirk

Message 3 of 7
Laurent_91
in reply to: karthur1

When I have to make a full download, it still takes some time (doh, 500 MB full download), but just doing a check in or check out goes way faster around yet. I have unchecked the box for "Create Visualization attachment" and that really helps. Beside that, I don't get the "file already exist in vault" error again either for some dwf files.

Checking in and out goes like a Ferrari instead of a slow lorry. Kirk, thank you so much!

I only can't understand why our reseller/helpdesk didn't mentioned this option, but started with network troubles, servertroubles and virus scanner troubles.

Message 4 of 7
karthur1

If you don't want/need teh visualization attachment (dwf files), you can disable it globally from the vault client.  Look under Tools > Adminstration > Vault Settings, Visualization tab.  At the top is an option where you can define the Visualization Attachments.  With this unchecked, the option to create the dwf file when you check-in is disabled.

I keep this unchecked here, just so that someone doesn't accidently create a bunch of dwf files when they check in their files.

2013-12-03_0720.png

Kirk

Message 5 of 7
Laurent_91
in reply to: karthur1

So if I uncheck that box, no one else has to go to their check in settings in Inventor and change the settings over there? I was already playing in the commands checkboxes with unchecking some.

Message 6 of 7
karthur1

@Laurent_91 wrote:

So if I uncheck that box, no one else has to go to their check in settings in Inventor and change the settings over there?

Correct.  When you disable that (and then restart Inventor), the option to add the visualization on check-in is disabled at the client.

Kirk

Message 7 of 7
Laurent_91

Thanks, what you said, is correct over here!  🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report