Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault Files in the Wrong Projects ?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Mpendlebury
358 Views, 4 Replies

Vault Files in the Wrong Projects ?

Hi,

I cant delete files from my vault as it has been refernced in multipule projects ? I thought vault prevented this?  Screen shot attached. 

I think this might be happening when a drawing saved as new copy into antother project and then it when its checked into the vault its still retaining the orgianl project despite it showing up in the new project.

Any one got an example or ideas for how civil 3d projects should best be set up within the vault? We have copied and pasted a file structure with templates in the past and vault seems to confuse which project the templates are attached to.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
scottmoyse
in reply to: Mpendlebury

Vault is stopping you from 'trashing' another dataset (The parent), by deleting one of it's referenced/dependant files, which are in that folder. I'm not familiar at this point how Civil 3D tracks it's files. But Inventor has a project file, which contains a workspace... this project file is not to be confused with the Autodesk Vault terminology since 2013 of creating 'Projects' with folders. They are two entirely different things. If Civil 3D is anything like AutoCAD electrical, then its project is also entirely different to the concept of 'Project' folders in Vault.

The project files within the CAD applications should be making sure files aren't referenced outside of their 'Cone of influence', then Vault manages the relationships between them, ensuring it maintains data integrity & versions etc.. So that error message is demonstrating that Vault is doing exactly what it's intended to do.

Have you spoken to your reseller about this?

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 3 of 5
Mpendlebury
in reply to: scottmoyse

They are seperate civil projects, which are created within civil3d and checked in through cad. They have a diffrent icon in the vault and dont look like folders, each project then has its own folders. This is diffrent from creating a folder in vault exporer and calling it a project so  i asssume this the same as an inventor porject file?? i havent found huge amount of information on this for civil

but It would not let me refernce a civil model between the two projects, and the refercing that has occured between the two projects i think should be impossible.

Say if someone had created a refrence from another project, then surely when checking it in would create a copy within its own project or not allow you to check it in ?

Or have i got my projects and folders confused.....

Message 4 of 5
mikel_martin

from the information that you have provided it looks as though refferences exist in Vault from some other file(s) to the files listed in the error. The CAD application creates these references durring check-in. If you select the files listed in the error and look at the "Where Used" tab you will see any files that are refferencing it.

Vault does try to prevent data loss by preventing deletion of files that other files are dependent on.

If you beleive that these refferences are not correct, it is possible to override the restriction in the delete process if you are logged in as an administrator.

Mikel Martin
User Experience Architect
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 5
scottmoyse

I asked my business partner to look at this since he uses Civil 3D in his day job, I'm not sure if this helps but this is his response:

Here is what I THINK. I do not use Vault for Civil 3D.

What I do know is that Civil 3D has a Project object, that users can optionally use, and this has some control over files, which can then be shared between users. It’s like sharing important data between files, such as a surface that multiple people reference.

That is all I know. Again, don’t use it.

Type pad says this:

11/01/2010

Creating Projects Civilly with Vault

Today’s post covers best practices with the use of Autodesk Civil 3D with Vault Collaboration.

So, you may have been told that you must create a Vault project for Civil 3D inside of Civil 3D. This is because Civil 3D also creates the project files the Vault needs to share objects such as points, surfaces and alignments. This has limited project managers in the past who wish to use the Vault client when creating a new project. While an initial project creation is required, you will see that it can be used from then on to create new Civil 3D projects. Let’s take a look…

First a project folder structure needs to be created using windows explorer. Your company may already have a template in place so that can be used if wished. You may also include documents such as word documents, spreadsheets, images or whatever else is standard when starting a new project.

- See more at: http://underthehood-autodesk.typepad.com/blog/collaboration/#sthash.gnxBrij0.dpuf

So they say that you have to implement that Civil 3D project, and then check it in to Vault. Once created, you could use that structure as a template to just drag into Vault for another instant project.

Theory has it that you should be able to share data and reference it between projects. If I need to use a map of USA, and reference a portion of New York in one project, and do the same in Chicago in another, we would not want to copy the file; we’d want to reference the same file.

The problem is that I have never used it so I cannot verify this.

John Evans

So I think its a case of making sure each type of project & folder is fully understood, then from there, figure out if something is wrong or what's causing it.

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report