Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault Destroys File Edits

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
roger
292 Views, 4 Replies

Vault Destroys File Edits

Hi.

We have been running vault basic for around 6 years and we have been running 2014 for about 4 months or so. During the time we have been using vault we have always had issues where periodically we save, check-in then re-open the file we will get a version that is old having lost any alterations that have been made. It's always with assemblies and we never lose a file we just lose any edits. This doesn't happen if we just work locally without Vault. When I say we lose edits this means any edits to either the assembly or part files.

As an example today I closed and re-opend an assembly only to find that it has reverted to a  combination of Friday, Monday and Tuesdays work. We have had Autodesk experts actually on site here trying to diagnose the issues (including a Vault product manager who happened to be visiting New Zealand at the time) and everything appeared ok. We have changed to a dedicated server, upgraded our switch and upgraded the versions of Vault. We are patched up to the latest version.

We have four users with the same issue and between us we figure we are doing something dumb ... except for the fact that;

1. We get messages saying we are editing out of turn when we try to save. Usually when we get this message we use Microsoft Synctoy to backup our data to another location because it's a sign we are about to have a data loss. (don't know why, but I didn't do that with this job)

2. Old versions stop working. I've got it set to -1 so that we retain all old versions and this works normally. On any assemblies that are having this problem when they are often missing.

3. Files that are ok in Vault have the correct date. Files that are having issues always have a date of 1/01/0001 12:00 a.m.

Since no-one else has these issues with Vault I accept we are doing something wrong but what? Suggestions please?

In the meantime, I'll recreate the files which are need urgently.

Thanks,

Roger Cooper

JMP Engineering.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
r.smith1
in reply to: roger

Hi Roger,

Based on the description, it seems that there is a disconnect in the working folder Vault thinks you have vs what you think you have set.  I'd start by creating and configuring a new Vault IPJ.  PLease review the steps in the links below on how to set up a single project file for use.  You'll also want to set a common working folder in Vault Administration.  

http://underthehood-autodesk.typepad.com/blog/2008/05/using-autodesk-vault-with-a-single-inventor-pr...

http://underthehood-autodesk.typepad.com/blog/2008/06/using-autodesk-vault-with-a-single-inventor-pr...

Ron Smith
New Product Introduction Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 5
roger
in reply to: r.smith1

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the ideas but we already have our project setup in exactly this way.

I think there must be some errors in the vault data handling process because of the way it resets the date on the damaged files so I'm not sure that the project setup is the culprit.

Message 4 of 5
r.smith1
in reply to: roger

Is it a new ipj, or did you upgrade it with your most recent upgrade? If you migrated it from a past, and this is NOT a new ipj file, I encourage you to create a new one and retest.

Ron Smith
New Product Introduction Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 5
roger
in reply to: r.smith1

Thanks Ron,

I did use an upgraded ipj. I've created a new one and see what happens. The problem with this is sometimes it will be weeks between it happening so there is a lot of wait and see with the process.

Best regards,

Roger.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report