Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault collab 2011 Property Mapping

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
dave_deane
711 Views, 12 Replies

Vault collab 2011 Property Mapping

Is it possible to map a UDP that is entered into the data card to an Autocad block attribute in our title block?

Thanks,

Dave

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
r.smith1
in reply to: dave_deane

Hi Dave,

Yes, you will need to index the block attribute in the ADMS Console first.  Once indexed, you will then create your UDP mapping.  You may need to check the autocad file out make a small change then in for the database to recognize the attribute (or re-index properties in ADMS Console as a last resort).  Once in Vault, you will then be able to edit these properties and have them appear in your vault grid. 

Ron Smith
New Product Introduction Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 13
dave_deane
in reply to: r.smith1

Ron,

Thanks for your reply, I'm working on trying to get our titleblocks to be updated from the datacards. In this instance I am trying to get the dwg number to the attribute in the upper left of the border in which the attribute name is DWG_UL within the Autocad block definition called BRA (border size A).

1. I checked our template into the vault.

2. I entered the block definition names into the ADMS Console using "Index Block Attributes".

3. I created a UDP named DWG_UL and associated it to our Drawings category.

4. In Mapping I imported the template file from the vault and located the file property BRA.DWG_UL.

what does Create do?....I read the help file but I still don't understand the functionality of Create when assigned Yes or No.

http://screencast.com/t/8HJmega0cfm

Thanks for your help,

Dave

Message 4 of 13
mollons

The help you show is actually for importing existing mappings into a vautl configuration.

The Create on an individual property mapping defines whether or not you want the vault to create the property on the file if it does not exist.

I am not sure what this means when the property is mapped to a block attribute though. I tmay just create a file property.

Scott Mollon
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help Wiki!
Message 5 of 13
mollons
in reply to: mollons

I did a quick test and if the block doesn't exist it just fails the write-back to the file.

Scott Mollon
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 13
dave_deane

I can't get it to work. Were you able to modify a Autocad block attribute though the data card?

Dave

Message 7 of 13
mollons

A data card in Inventor?

Scott Mollon
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 13
mollons

I think maybe the Inventor datacards aren't totally working with AutoCAD blocks attributes.

Opening a pure ACAD file in Inventor and bringing up the data card it won't let me edit the property.

If I save the file in Inventor so it becomes an Inventor DWG then it will let me edit the property, however the attribute in the file doesn't reflect the change (though the data card and property grid in the vault do).

Scott Mollon
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 13
dave_deane

Yes, Inventor.

Our Templates A,B,C,D,E have a Titleblock and Border that were originally created in Autocad. So They are Autocad blocks and attributes. We can edit them in Inventor easily by RMC on the title block and selecting edit attributes. However, I would like to have the users enter the titleblock data into UDP's on the data card and map them back to the block attributes.

The reason being, I could eliminate the human error of forgetting to update the titleblock. If I can map through the data card I can enforce that the property is filled in prior to changing the lifecycle state to "Review" or "Released"

These templates have been updated to be Inventor dwg's.

Thanks,

Dave

Message 10 of 13
r.smith1

Have you considered changing the attribute to an Inventor Property, or is there a reason for the attributes to remain in the template?

Ron Smith
New Product Introduction Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 13
dave_deane
in reply to: r.smith1

Sorry I could'nt respond sooner, I was on vacation Fri-Mon.

We actually use TeamCenter for 2D drawings and that system writes the title block data to the autocad block attributes. We wanted to keep the titleblocks universal whether we are using either system. Our version of TeamCenter does not manage the multi-file 3D models so that's why are forced to use two systems.

Is it official then, we are unable to map UDP's to Autocad block attributes inside Vault Collaboration?

I guess what I am finding is that Vault Collaboration really doesn't do that much or at least what I expected.

Thanks,

Dave

Message 12 of 13
dave_deane

We have now upgraded to Vault Collaboration 2012, we still cannot update the Autocad Blcok inside the Inventor.dwg. I have tried all the previous steps previously mentioned in this thread.

Can you confirm if this functionality exists. Is it possible to map a UDP in Vault Collaboration to an Autocad block attribute in our title block? The file is an Inventor.dwg. Block has been indexed. UDP has been mapped to the attribute. I cannot update the attribute value in the title block. It works fine mapped to a custom iProperty in a Inentor created title block though. 

We would like to continue using the Autocad created title block with attributes because we have over twenty thousand drawings created this way and having to replace title blocks is very counter productive.

Dave

Message 13 of 13
dave_deane

Sorry, going to start a new thread.... one year later and need to update the thread title to 2012

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report