Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault Backup

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
jparks_79
528 Views, 4 Replies

Vault Backup

Hello All,

I see a lot of posts about this topic, but all the solutions I find really don't fit me scenario.

We have Vault pr 2012 replicated to 6 sites. We have an incremental backup runnning Monday-Thursday and A full backup Starts every friday nite.

The problem I am encountering is the full backup starts on friday and is not finishing until Tuesday. The process always appears to get hung up on "Validating Databases". Our publisher is still running Windows 2003, so the task priority setting I don't think applies here. And we are running the recomnded SQL maintenance.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jeremy

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
paul.gunn
in reply to: jparks_79

Hi,

The validation does take a long time - as it involves opening every file in the filestore to compute a checksum. While this does run automatically when doing a backup from the UI, it is possible to control whether this option is taken on a command line backup. So you may want to consider moving to a command line backup in order to skip running the validation all the time .

Paul

Message 3 of 5
jparks_79
in reply to: paul.gunn

Paul,

Thanks for the suggestion. So you think it could be possible to only do the validation step once every few backups?

After a closer inpsection of the logs, I also notice it is not only the validation step which is taking longer than a day, but the database backup is also taking quite some time(maybe over a day).
Message 4 of 5
paul.gunn

Yes -

Doing a validation is probably a good idea from time-to-time - e.g. to ensure some hard drive problem hasn't corrupted fiels. However this is a very infrequent likelihood. A large backup will take a while anyways - especially a full backup that takes all the files - so reducing overall work is important to speed things up. For multi-site you might also want to consider ignoring non-replicated files (-INRF) - having to replicate files as part of backup can also take some time, depending if there are a lot of un-replicated files.

Paul

Message 5 of 5
jparks_79

Paul,

Thanks for the advice! We will try this next full backup with the switches and see what performance gains we get from it.

Jeremy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report