Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault backup vs. system level backup

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
hshorst
334 Views, 2 Replies

Vault backup vs. system level backup

I know it is preferred to make backups using the Vault utility, but my IT guy is wondering why this is necessary when he is backing up the complete drive already.  Can anyone tell me exactly why system level backup are not recommended?

Thanks,

Steve

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
olearya
in reply to: hshorst

Hi Steve,

We support console backups due to the nature of the Vault database/filestore relationship - our backup ensures that the file detail in the database matches exactly what is stored on disk.  Any backup strategy which cannot guarantee that these the components are not in sync are unsupported.

System level backups depending on how and when they are performed may actually achieve this but introduces risk. 

Hope this helps

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 3
paul.gunn
in reply to: olearya

In addition to Allan's comments, there is a white paper regarding doing third-party backups:

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Vault/enu/Community/Tips_and_Tricks/Using_3rd_Party_Tools_to_Backup%2F%...

If you investigate this route, you will want to invest some time making sure that the backups can be successfully restored to a working system. You wouldn't imagine how many people find out too late (after years of backups) that they were missing some key files(s) .

Paul

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report