Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault and Civil 3d, update data references without check in?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
joar.bryhni
925 Views, 6 Replies

Vault and Civil 3d, update data references without check in?

I'm asking this as I wonder if Vault is the right thing for us. If you have a dwg with a surface, and the dwg is checked out. You also have a dwg that references the surface, and that is also checked out. And not by data shortcut, but by "Vault reference". You make a change to the surface and save the surface dwg. Then you open the dwg that references the surface. Will it read the changed surface, or the checked in (but now outdated) surface? If it reads the checked in surface, how can people work "offline" (meaning not logged in) from Vault? Or even on a too slow vpn to even think about checking in dwgs every time you want to see referenced objects updated in other dwgs? Or is it, like I hope, a local file that represents the surface (xml or something) to dwgs referencing it, while the mother dwg is checked out? And that is updated locally until the mother dwgs is checked in again?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Mpendlebury
in reply to: joar.bryhni

You check in your surface.dwg. It then marks the drawing as out of date on the drawing that has it referenced it in. It only allows you to synchronize that surface if the drawing has been checked out as well.

If another user wants to start work on the project, they can get all the latest project data available or just the files they need to work on.  So if they want to open pad.dwg but it has a surface from surface.dwg referenced into it, it will copy the latest surface.dwg to their project folder. You could then disconnect and work offline for hours if you wish. 

Now if they don't want any one else to edit the surface.dwg because they are working on it on a model that needs it they could check it out to them. Meaning no one else on the project can work on it. 

Alternatively, they only check out the pad.dwg leaving the copy of surface free for other people to edit.  He can keep working on his pad.dwg at any time he wants to check they still have the latest surface they will need to connect to the vault.

He wont be able to add the pad back into the vault without connecting to the vault and when they do it will show they need to update the surface.dwg

So you don't really get around having to download all project files Atleast once, but one you get going you will only have to download the files that you need when they change.

Hope that helps

Message 3 of 7
joar.bryhni

Thank you for your reply. You wrote:

"If another user wants to start work on the project, they can get all the latest project data available or just the files they need to work on. So if they want to open pad.dwg but it has a surface from surface.dwg referenced into it, it will copy the latest surface.dwg to their project folder. You could then disconnect and work offline for hours if you wish."

So the other user checks out pad.dwg og surface.dwg, disconnects his computer from the network and bring it to a mountain top (without chance of logging into Vault). Then he makes a change to the surface in surface.dwg, and he wants to see the change in pad.dwg (to check if the change is ok or if he needs to change it more). Does he need to go down from the mountain, connect the computer to the network, log into Vault, check in surface.dwg and open pad.dwg?

Or wil pad.dwg be updated with the latest mountain made changes to the surface already there in the mountain? If it's updated, how can Civil 3D do this if Vault keeps track of the data reference relationships between the dwgs? Is the relationship put into the dwg's and pad.dwg reads the surface from the checked out and changed surface.dwg by opening it in the background?

Again thanks, as I can't find anything useful about offline (or non aggressive check in policy) workflow for Civil 3D and Vault. And I think I searched the whole Internet...

Message 4 of 7
Mpendlebury

Hmmm.... 

I'm not sure I follow exactly 

Surface.dwg is checked out, has new edits.

Pad.dwg be read only, with surface referenced into it. The surfaces wont update until its checked out, or detached.

You could open pad.dwg save as" pad (check).dwg" and it would not longer be the read only or the checked in file from the vault. You could then Sync the surfaces just like an xref and you could see all the changes. 

You can still brute force it. Let say you then make changes to "(check).dwg" when you go back down the mountain you would then

check out pad.dwg.

Save Pad Check.dwg over it

Check the new Pad.dwg back in.

you will lose any changes that were done while you were up the mountain though.

Message 5 of 7
joar.bryhni
in reply to: Mpendlebury

Thank you for your reply. You wrote:

"Surface.dwg is checked out, has new edits. Pad.dwg be read only, with surface referenced into it. The surfaces wont update until its checked out, or detached."

I mixed in a Norwegian word by mistake in my previous writing, so not easy to get. But both Surface.dwg and Pad.dwg is checked out before going to the mountain. So Pad.dwg is not read only.

What I wonder is, if I make changes to Surface.dwg in the mountain, will Pad.dwg be updated with the changes there in in mountain, or will it only continue to use the checked in version of Surface.dwg (meaning Pad.dwg refusing to accept or unable to see the local and changed Surface.dwg) without help from Vault (who is not there in the mountain)?

Regards,

Message 6 of 7
KevinSpear_PE

It all depends on the working folder location.

If you're working folder is on your C: drive, then the edited surface only is different once it is checked back into the vault.

If you're working folder is a network folder, then once the surface is edited and saved, any other DWGs referencing that surface will prompt you for sync.

So from that standpoint, a network folder is a plus. ANother plus for network folder location is that you're a multi-discipline firm and not all departments use Vault, like those in Revit.  A downside could be network latency causing slow check-in or out. 

My personal preference is to use C: as the working folder and just check-in as often as you need to update the surface.  Should you have other disciplines, then simply do the normal export you would do for any consultants and move on....

Kevin

Message 7 of 7
joar.bryhni
in reply to: KevinSpear_PE

Thanks a lot, now I understand how it works. Just curious about one more thing: If you work offline from Vault with your working folder on C:, can you force syncronisation from one local (Vaulted but checked out) file to another? Or is the file that needs it's reference to the changed file updated, blind to the local file and only accepting updates directly from Vault?

Regards,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report