Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault and Civil 3D Data Shortcuts

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
ukdxb012
1678 Views, 12 Replies

Vault and Civil 3D Data Shortcuts

Hi,

When i create a Project on Vault, everything works fine until i create a Shortcut. I Checkin my drawing and it asks me what i want to share in the file. for instance im checking in a surface of the existing ground.

when i check it in it asks me if i want to selet te surface as a data shortcut, i accept this and upload but there is no shortcut. However, if i check out the same drawing and check back in it then creates the Data shortcuts! Why is this? Why doesnt it do it the first time round?

Regards,

Duncan

Duncan Brannan
UK/EMEIA CAD Operations Manager
Twitter | LinkedIn

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
achintam
in reply to: ukdxb012

Hello Duncan,

The shared surface should appear right after Check-In.  Your issue is probably related to refresh.  Can you try refreshing the project after checking in the drawing?

What release of Vault and Civil 3D are you using?

Also, are you using Vault Collaboration?

Thanks

Anil Chintamaneni (Autodesk) 

Message 3 of 13
ukdxb012
in reply to: achintam

Hi Anil,

We are using just Vault Collaboration 2012 with Civil 3D 2012. Even doing a refresh after the first checkin the Data Shortcuts are not appearing in Vault 2012 or Civil 3D 2012.

As i said earlier, the shared Surface or Alignment is not showing on first checkin but if you check out and check back in it is.

We have also noticed an issue with and error "Error 1103"

Regards,

Duncan

Duncan Brannan
Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 4 of 13
achintam

Just making sure we are talking about the same Refresh.  I was talking about the Refresh button on the attached image that can be selected on a highlighted project.  And regarding 1103, can you please provide more details about the steps to reproduce the error?  Thanks.

C3D_Prospector_Refresh.png

Message 5 of 13
ukdxb012

Anil,

The Refresh button on Toolspace in Civil 3D on the first check in of the Surface Source drawing that contains the surface i want to Data Shortcut is greyed out, i cannot refresh.

I have just checked and again to get the plus button to appear in Civil 3D in Toolspace under Projects i have to Check In, Check Out and Check In so that i may use the Data Shortcut of my surface. Why am i having to do this process twice?

Regarding the Error 1103, this appears when we created an alignment and profile and checked them into Vault with Shortcuts. All the error says is Error 1103: 1103 

Regards,

Duncan

Duncan Brannan
Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 6 of 13
achintam

Duncan,

Can you please capture a video of your Check In workflow so that I can understand your shared objects problem well?

Regarding error 1103, do you run into it everytime you create an alignment and profile and check them into Vault?

Thanks

Anil

Message 7 of 13
ukdxb012

Hi Anil,

The Error 1103 happens everytime to one user particular user when creating any Data Shortcuts, one day it worked as far as the surface but the second day nothing worked. Permissions are different between myself and the user so that could be the issue as i have no problem.

What i am trying is creating a secondary account with the same permissions as the user to see if i can replicate the issue. Hopefully this might pinpoint us to the problem.

Can you tell me where i should send the video?

Regards,

Duncan

Duncan Brannan
Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 8 of 13
achintam

HI Duncan,

You can attach the video here.  And if you have any problems with doing so, you can send it to me in e-mail (myfirstname.mylastname@autodesk.com).

Regarding error 1103, I am curious to know the results of your tests.

Thanks

Message 9 of 13
ukdxb012

Hi Anil,

We have removed Error 1103 from the equation. Basically the user having the issue had cehcked out the Data Shortcuts and Source Drawings without Checking Back in... Because of this the user was trying to reference the files which therefore wouldnt allow him and the error popped up.

Now we have put all the files back and checked them in the user can create all data shortcuts correctly without the error. Got there in the end!

However, the problem still exists that when you follow this procedure you have to checkin the drawing twice for the Data Shortcut to show in Civil 3D.

Create Project

Save Drawing in Surface Source Drawings on Local Workstation Folder

Create Surface

Reference some point data into Surface

Save drawing

Check In

Select drawing via checkin

Select Data Shortcut via checkin

Doing the above writes a Data file (but it looks incomplete or doesnt state its a tin surface) on Vault but doesnt show it in Civil 3D, however, if you ...

Check out the same drawing

Check back in it does.

Regards,

Duncan

Duncan Brannan
Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 10 of 13
achintam

Hello Duncan,

We are unable to reproduce the issue.  As I mentioned before a video showing the steps might help us understand the workflow better.  Also, if you can send us the data file that gets created when the drawing is checked in the first time that might help us too in identifying any information that's missing from that file.

If you are not comfortable with sharing the video and data file over here, you can e-mail it to me at myfirstname.mylastname@autodesk.com

Thanks

Message 11 of 13
ukdxb012

Hi Anil,

I have just ftp'd the video to your autodesk email. Please let me when you have received it. Hopefully that should show the issue we are having with creating references to Civil 3D Source drawings...

Below are the data files associated aswell... Please read them from 1, 2 to 3. Thats the order the history is on Vault.

Regards,

Duncan

Duncan Brannan
Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 12 of 13
CivilSamurai

I am very curious to find out what comes of this as we currently have the exact same two problems with 1103 and shortcuts not being created the first time we check in a file.  I will take a look at what was mentioned about the 1103 error and see if we can eliminate it like you did but the data sharing is a pain to work around every single time.

Thank you for your time,

Mike Pollock

Diamond West

Civil3D 2012

Vault Collaboration 2012

Win 7 64-bit

*Mike
*Civil3D*Revit*Navisworks*ArcMAP*
Message 13 of 13
ukdxb012

Hi Mike,

Unfortunately i do not have any updates on this issues so if you do happen to find the answer before we do i would be grateful if you could report back.

Regards,

Duncan

Duncan Brannan
Twitter | LinkedIn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report