Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault 2015R2 Vault allows to save Readonly files

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
martijnvangiels
678 Views, 8 Replies

Vault 2015R2 Vault allows to save Readonly files

Hi,

We experience serious problems due to the Vault project file, to allow save Read only files in Vault 2015 R2.

Scenario:

Release IDW including referenced IPT

For some reason( to do some analysis)  the engineer opens the ipt from Vault, readonly, and confirms the Inventor dialog to edit the part while not beiing able to checkin afterwards.

Engineer continues change and saves the readonly part (No save as dialog as expected, Inventor just allows to save)

next day part needs to be produced, so drawing is opened in Inventor from vault .

Vault validates local edits and decides not to sync these local edit files with the latest version form vault

Now the drawing is opened with the wrong reference. This could cause major financial issues due to wrong information in drawing.

I realize I could explain to the engineer to always check vault browser on possible local edits

I can also explain to get the file in Vault client and choose using " force overwrite"

When opening large assemblies this will be more and more problematic to solve

In practice people do not read dialogs and just open files from vault, expecting to get vault latest version.

In our scenario multiple issues are caused by this behaviour of Vault.

Is there any advise how to manage this.

Thanks in advance

Martijn van Giels

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

If I'm understanding it correctly, this isn't unique to 2015 R2 and isn't in any way related to the project file.

You're right though, what you're suggesting can easily happen.  I'm not in any way afraid to criticise Vault when it's failings cause problems, but I think in this case it's not really a Vault problem.

I personally think it's the responsibility of the user to make sure what you're describing doesn't happen.  The prompts (and there are lots!) are there to prevent and/or warn a user, like a disclaimer saying hey STOP, you shouldn't be doing this but I'm gonna let you but don't say I didn't warn you! If the user doesn't know what he's clicking and just thunder stomps on through eventually editing a released part, that's on them, Vault warned them countless times.  There's all kinds of warnings and notification icons to show you're looking at the wrong version of a file.

Having said that, I totally 100% agree that you shouldn't be able to download and physically alter a released file, but like I said above you have to skip & jump through a load of warning hoops before getting to that point.  The alternative would be to completely ban and prevent someone from downloading released data, that would likely cause more problems than the way things are now.

The way I look at it is only Vault knows a file is 'Released'.  If you download a released file into your workspace, then completely uninstall Vault from your PC, what have you got? Just a file in the workspace, no different to any other.

Message 3 of 9
tahdesign1
in reply to: Neil_Cross

So this concerns me since we are moving up to Pro to get the release / locking capabilities.

At this point using Basic I "release" designs and lock them using a fake user. So as a test to see what happens here I worked with one of my "released" files to see what it would let me do.

• I have a fake user named "1-ME Release" that I check released parts/drawings out to but do not download the files. So with it checked out you can pull it down but it should be protected from the Vaulted version being changed.

1.jpg

• However, when I pull down the file from the Vault I can select to check it out and I get NO warning. I feel that should not happen since it is still checked out to someone else. I feel it should ask to do a save as in this case.

2.jpg

• So now when I do the first edit to this part, delete a feature / add a sketch, I get the warning that it is checked out to another user and that changes will not be save to the Vault. If I say no here whatever edit I am doing will stop. If I say yes it allows me to do the edit AND save the file.

3.jpg

• Now I have local copy of a file checked out to someone else that has allowed me to edit and save it. When I open the IDW for this from the Vault I get the message that the local copy is newer and that I am about to replace it with what is in the Vault. In a WIP situation I would say no here because I want the drawing to update to the local copy. But in this situation where it is a "released" part I would say yes to get the proper version for the drawing from the Vault. So with a releasing Vault like Pro, you would say Yes here to always have the correct "Released" version from the Vault. However, if you do say no and your drawing updates to the incorrect local part all you have to do is refresh from the Vault to correct it.

4.jpg 

So it is correct that a user has to go through a succession of dialog boxes picking the incorrect way to actually edit the part and update the drawing. And even though the drawing could update incorrectly to the local part it can not be pushed back into the Vault to mess up the released version.

However what is most disturbing to me and what I thought the Pro version would handle differently than my "dummy user" method is that it originally allows me to check out a part that is checked out to someone else. It does not warn me at that point to do a save as if I want to make changes. I thought this was just a limitation in my made up method of releasing with the Basic Vault but it sounds like the same situation actually can happened on a true releasing Vault Pro.

If there is a method for a user to mess something up like this it will happen.

As was stated, people tend to click through dialogs before they realize what they have messed up.

Message 4 of 9
Retselnitram
in reply to: tahdesign1

I am also new at Vault

I assumed that if I am in an assembly with some released parts and some that are not, that if I tried to modify a part that is released it would let me know.

(somehow)!

Vault has warnings for everything else.

The worst is I can make a change to a released part and save it and never get a warning that it had been released.

Open a drawing and it will use the wrong released part that has been edited part and is on the local drive.

I can't keep track which parts are released, checked in, and  newly created when working in an assembly.

The least they could do is have a symbol beside the part in the model window without having to go to the Vault window to see

Message 5 of 9

Hi,

If someone from Autodesk could give the Autodesk point-of-view on that, this will very interesting for us.

Thanks in advance.

Message 6 of 9

Hi, Thank you for your responses.

I would like to amphasize that there is 1 and only 1 message warning you cannot save changes to vault.

From this message not any warning will pop up anymore (Vault 2015R2 Professionas/Workgroup).

Also it concerns releases and so Locked files in the Vault. User has not any possibility to check out released files

I prefere to have a setting to force overwrite local edits from vault at any time when opening released files from vault.

I agree on the repsonsibility of the egineer, to read and understand messages. in my experience this is utopia.

We are very enthousiastic about vault and it has a lot of goof management features. This however is really a great pain.

Someone from Autodesk or other experienced users, please join discussion for feedback.

Message 7 of 9
Neil_Cross
in reply to: tahdesign1

Vault Pro works a little differently.  It's not perfect but it's somewhat better.  If a file is in Vault on a state which is categorised as Released, it can't be checked out or psuedo checked out in any kind of way:

Released.png

However you can still download the files, open them, bypass the prompts and continue to edit it.  It just won't let you check it back in.

The dirtying of local files which are Released is something that I've logged with and shouted/raged/ranted at Autodesk about for years now.  In a perfect world, a released file should be completely untouchable in the workspace but there's clearly a crossover between Inventor & Vault.  Internally within Autodesk they are two completely separate teams developing two products which have an interest in one another, and although they've done a great job in most areas there is still a lot of work to be done to get around this issue.  But as stated above, there are mechanisms in place to prevent this situation from happening.

There's also a discussion to be had about the requirement to open released data in the CAD client for final printing.  If that's your goal, you'll probably need to have work instructions & guidelines in place to govern how that is done.  In most Vault Pro sites, an automated print system will generate the final plots triggered on release without the need to open the files manually in a client CAD app.  That doesn't excuse the original issue but like with anything, a procedure needs to be implemented and enforced to get things done the correct way.

Message 8 of 9

Yea you're right, only one prompt will appear for that operation.  You wouldn't wan't anymore than that, the feedback I get from most users is there's already too many prompts.  Most prompts serve a purpose, but some could be improved.  Like for example the 'Do you want to update the properties' prompt on open which is there for every single file you open, regardless of whether or not there's even anything to update.

I don't think there's an answer to what this thread is about, it is possible to locally edit released parts and be looking at an incorrect drawing if you go through the prompts to get to that point.  

Should this turn into a discussion more about how to correctly create your final plot?

Message 9 of 9
tahdesign1
in reply to: Neil_Cross

Just a thought here.

If the DWF file in the Vault is correctly created should you not be able to print from Vault explorer on the released files?

That way the print would have to be using the correct part/assembly to drive the drawing, correct?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums