Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault 2015 R1 & R2 Client on the same system

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Neil_Cross
495 Views, 2 Replies

Vault 2015 R1 & R2 Client on the same system

This is a bit of a unique freak situation, two completely different Vault platforms within the same release year.

The problem I have, which can't be unique to me, is that I have both R1 & R2 feeding a connectivity addin into one CAD client.  Inventor 2015 is receiving the Vault plugin from both R1 & R2, and as far as I can see there's no way to tell Inventor which version to use on demand.  

Currently my Inventor 2015 is registered with the R2 plugin, meaning I can't connect to a R1 Vault even though I have the R1 client installed.  Obviously R2 is a full release, therefore a R2 client or plugin can't connect into a lower platform version.  The workaround is ridiculously clunky if they're both installed:  

• Add/Remove Features, remove R2 Inventor Addin
  • Add/Remove Features, remove R1 Inventor Addin
  • Add/Remove Features, install R1 Inventor Addin

To then get R2 Inventor Addin working again:

• Add/Remove Features, remove R1 Inventor Addin
  • Add/Remove Features, install R2 Inventor Addin

I can't image this is likely to be addressed this late in the product cycle, 2016 will come and I assume there won't be a 2016 R2 like we've had this year.  But does anyone know of a more efficient way to have both R1 & R2 clients installed and alternate between them in CAD?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
paul.gunn
in reply to: Neil_Cross

Hi Neil,

I'm not sure if there is a good way to easily switch between the add-ins. However it does seem like you could use the 2015 (R1) add-in to connect to both vaults. R2 supports backwards compatibilty to 2015 so all the R1 document services are available to the add-in. The only caveat here is that backwards compatibility for item services was disabled due to incompatible functionality, so add-in features like 'open from item' would not be available. I don't know if that would be a showstopper for you or not, but wanted to mention this option if you haven't considered it.

Paul

Message 3 of 3
Neil_Cross
in reply to: paul.gunn

Hi Paul,

I have absolutely no idea why I didn't think of that Smiley Frustrated Must have been so wrapped up trying to figure out how to use them both at the same time, I totally forgot that R1 add-in would hook into R2 ADMS.  The irony being that I've had Inventor 2013 hooking into ADMS 2015 for the last 5 months! 

Thanks for the kick, good shout.

Neil.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report