Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault 2015 Lifecycle File Categories

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
PVT_Stewie
344 Views, 8 Replies

Vault 2015 Lifecycle File Categories

Trying to configure Life Cycle Categories manually.  I have 2015 Pro installed, but I notice that the Categories list does not have the same choises as the current Vault 2013 Pro.

Is that correct?  Vault 2013 has 16 file categories; Vault 2015 has only 4, [Base, Engineering, Office, Standard]

Is this a different workflow process for Vault 2015?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
cbenner
in reply to: PVT_Stewie

Did you or anyone else where you are add any categories in the 2013?  You can create an unlimited number of file categories.  I'm not sure if the number available "out of the box" has changed over the years, but I suspect what you are seeing ins a number of custom categories.

Message 3 of 9
Neil_Cross

Chris speaks the truth, 2013 Pro has the same 4 default categories.  Below is the list as is immediately following a new Vault creation in 2013 Pro:

2013.png

Message 4 of 9
PVT_Stewie
in reply to: Neil_Cross

I have no doubts about the truthfullness.....thanks.

My follow-up question;  How do I recreate the same custom ones I have currently in 2013?

Message 5 of 9
Neil_Cross

As far as I know, you can either create them manually or export > import a CFG file through ADMS server.

A CFG file contains all the category, rules, lifecycle, property etc info from a Vault and applies it all to another Vault.

But, last time I checked you couldn't import a CFG file from an earlier release of Vault.  I had to migrate that ADMS into the new release, then export the CFG file.

The amount of hassle that led to meant it was a lot quicker just to manually recreate all the categories.  Not ideal.

Message 6 of 9
PVT_Stewie

thank you for responding....Do you have any advice with regards to Properties transfers?  We have a large set of custom properties that need to be migrated to the new version; 2013 to 2015.  Is there a way to transfer them, other than what's mentioned below?

Message 7 of 9
paul.gunn

Hi,

Is there any reason you aren't just migrating the vault itself to 2015 (either directly or by restoring a 2013 backup)?

Paul

Message 8 of 9
PVT_Stewie
in reply to: paul.gunn

having problems creating a Backup, per my other post.

Message 9 of 9
minkd

FYI - In the case where migrating is not a good option and you want the configuration from an older release in a newer release, the following steps should speed things up and reduce errors from manually re-creating everything:

1) export the config from the older vault (2013).

2) on a 2013 empty test server. create a vault using the config exported in step 1.

3) backup the test server (should be pretty small since it only contains the config).

4) restore backup on 2015 server.

5) export the config from 2015 server. You now have a 2015 config with your 2013 settings.

Of course, to do this you need a test 2013 server - a VM should suffice since performance isn't a concern here), and a 2015 server.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report