Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault 2015 BOM Question - New Item

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
cbenner
378 Views, 6 Replies

Vault 2015 BOM Question - New Item

Hello,

What does this mean?  I keep seeing htis when trying to assign items to assemblies in Inventor, where there may be several parts with the same number.  After finding the Item to replace the duplicates with and hitting ok... I get this:

dup.PNG

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
cbenner
in reply to: cbenner

I might have answered my own question, though I'm not sure I like the answer.  Seems that if I have more than one duplicate that I am trying to replace with a single Item, this happens.  If I "remove" all but one of them, and "replace" that one... the Item processes fine.  I can then Edit the Item and turn on the removed BOM rows, one at a time and replace the duplicates at that time.  Seems like a lot of extra steps but it worked.

Message 3 of 7
paul.gunn

Hi Chris,

I was able to reproduce this problem and have raised it with the team.

While glad you were able to find a workaround, I am sorry that you ran into this bad behavior in the first place.

Paul

Message 4 of 7
cbenner
in reply to: paul.gunn

Hi Paul, thanks for that.  There seems to be a lot of weird behavior when assigning Items for the first time.  I assume most of it is learning curve on my part, but this one seemed a bit odd.  If I see others that seem "off", I'll let you all know.

Message 5 of 7
ralfwalter

Hello,

Thank you very much for this information. We have reproduced the issue and will be working on a solution shortly.

Ralf Walter
Autodesk

Ralf Walter

Principal Engineer
Message 6 of 7
paul.gunn

Hi Chris,

As you've noticed there were many changes to how items work in 2015 - the overall intent being to make item management more flexible. We do appreciate hearing about any problems like this or questions folks might have on any of the new features / changes. Hopefully you will find the new functionality generally more useful and less wierd once you have used it for a bit.

Paul 

Message 7 of 7
cbenner
in reply to: paul.gunn

Thanks, Paul....

The weirdness mainly comes from making my data work with Items.  Up until now we only used Items for Design Documents, and then only so we could manage lifecycles through ECO's.  But with decades of Autocad and Inventor files, all using different properties because in the past no one captured any data in Vault... it was just a storehouse.... now we're looking forward to using Items for BOM's, and I am faced with finding some common ground in all of this data soup that will make our lives a bit easier.  Once I figure out what I need to do to the files themselves, Vault will do it's part rather handily.  So far, I like what I see, and I am waiting for R2 with baited breath... that looks even more interesting.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report