Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault 2014 Thin Web Client Not Showing File Details Page

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
mdurst
1651 Views, 12 Replies

Vault 2014 Thin Web Client Not Showing File Details Page

I have loaded the Subscription Bonus Pack 1 and in the NEW Web Client (http://<servername>/AutodeskTC) when clicking on a file in the Project Explorer, it simply does nothing. The next page should show the File Details.

I have tested the new Web Client on a different machine and it works as expected.  This one environment (File Store Rep) is where the issue is, so it seems to be the envionment.  Any ideas on what to look for?

Searching Works. DWF Preview Works. I can't get to the File Details page no matter what I do.

Tested with IE 8 and 9.
Tested with Chrome.
Configured Browser Security Settings per the Help file.

Checked Server, Console and File Store logs.  Nothing popping out.

Autodesk Job Dispatch, SQL and WWW Services Restarted

Old Web Client is working as expected.

When clicking on ANY file in the Web Client, it says Loading briefly and then nothing happens.  Also, if I try to search again from this page, nothing happens.  I have to click to a different folder and then I can search again or hit F5 (Refresh).

Web Client - File Details Not Showing.jpg

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
mdurst
in reply to: mdurst

Below in the video I demonstrate the issue I described above where it won't load to the File Details page.

Secondly, I show when you scroll down to the bottom of the page it automatically adds more results.  Once it does this you can see the right side of the page adds another blank column.  You'll also notice there are 2 or 3 files where the columns are shifted one column to the right.  Is anyone else experiencing these issues?

View Web Client Issues Video

Message 3 of 13
chearhuat

Hi mdust,

Watched the video, did you notice the same UI glitch when using Chrome?

Meanwhile, on the 'file detail' page not showing error, does that happen when you loggin to ADMS server directly, bypassing the File Store Rep (as mentioned)?

Regards,
Chear Huat.

Chear Huat
SQA Analyst
DLS- Data Management
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help Wiki!
Message 4 of 13
mdurst
in reply to: chearhuat

Chear,

The same UI glitch does NOT occur when using Chrome, but the File Details error does.

I'm not sure what you mean, login to the ADMS directly...  here is the server setup.  I have 3 environments I have been testing with.  The QA and Production environments are pretty much identical in server configuration.  Both environments experience the same issues I have shown in the video above.  My local environment where everything is located on one machine does NOT experience this issue.

QA

I am logging into <SERVER1>, because it is in the same location (physically) as myself, as well as <SERVER3>.  However, I have tried logging into <SERVER2> and the same issue still exists.

Production

I am logging into <SERVER4>, because it is in the same location (physically) as myself, as well as <SERVER6>.  However, I have tried logging into <SERVER5> and the same issue still exists.

QA Environment

<SERVER1> - ADMS Console 2014 (File Store)

<SERVER2> - ADMS Console 2014 (File Store)

<SERVER3> - SQL 2012 Standard (Shared Database)

Production Environment

<SERVER4> - ADMS Console 2014 (File Store)

<SERVER5> - ADMS Console 2014 (File Store)

<SERVER6> - SQL 2012 Standard (Shared Database)

Local Environment

<LOCALHOST> - ADMS Console 2014, SQL 2012 Standard, Vault Client 2014

Message 5 of 13
chearhuat

Hi mdurst,

Had contacted you thru the private message. Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks.

Regards,

Chear Huat

Chear Huat
SQA Analyst
DLS- Data Management
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 13
chearhuat

Hi mdurst,

Do let us know if you're still observing the same File Details page not-shown anomaly.

Thanks.

Regards,

Chear Huat.

Chear Huat
SQA Analyst
DLS- Data Management
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 13
mdurst

Yes, the issue still exists.  I suspect the issue to be related to the IIS worker provess.  The Windows Process Activation Service is crashing in the IIS Manager and also showing errors in the Event Viewer.  This has also seemed to prove an issue with the thick client as well.

I have since removed IIS and the ADMS Console (leaving the database and file store).  I reinstalled IIS Manaually as the ADMS Console failed to do it correctly when I allowed it to automatically install IIS.  I then was able to install the ADMS Console and apply all necessary patches (including Sub Bonus Pack 1).

After my first attempt in trying to access the Project Explorer in the new Web Client, I received an Underlying Connection error.  I have since REMOVED the new Autodesk Thin Client and I am doing more testing to see if the issues with the Thick Client are resolved.

Underlying Connection.jpg

IIS Manager (Warnings)

0.jpg1.jpg2.jpg

Event Viewer Errors

3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

Message 8 of 13
chearhuat

Hi mdurst,

We had a similar case reported, that showed the exact error in the screenshots.

And, we would like to suggest applying this hotfix from microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2765317

Let us know if helps.

Regards,
Chear Huat.

Chear Huat
SQA Analyst
DLS- Data Management
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 13
mdurst

After further testing (months ago) we determined the IIS issues were related to .NET 4.5.  We resolved the issue by uninstalling .NET 4.5 and installing .NET 4.0.  However, the new Thin Client is still having an issue with the File Details page showing which seems to be a seperate issue not related to IIS or .NET Framework.

I'm not at a point with the customer where we can install .NET 4.5 and the Hotfix from Microsoft to "see" if it fixes the issue.  If we ever get to that point, I will post back here.  Thanks for the update.

Message 10 of 13
chearhuat

hi mdurst,

Regarding the Page Detail anomaly, you can try the following workaround first:

Granting user ‘IIS AppPool\AutodeskTCPool’ full control to folder ‘c:\Autodesk\VaultCommon\Servers’:

1. Via Window Explorer, navigate to c:\Autodesk\VaultCommon\Servers\
  2. Create the folder, if need be.
  3. From the folder property dialog > Security tab, grant user ‘IIS AppPool\AutodeskTCPool’ the full control to the folder.

Let us know if that helps.

Regards,
Chear Huat.

Chear Huat
SQA Analyst
DLS- Data Management
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 13
mdurst

That fixed the issue of the File Details page not showing.  This company has a restriction on users being able to create any folders or files at the root of the C:\ drive which apparently is causing the issue.  Also, I noticed this path on my machine and was curious where it came from - now I know.  Was there not another path the developers could have chosen to put this cache - seems a little weird to put it right at the root of the C:\ drive.

Message 12 of 13
chearhuat

hi mdurst,

Glad to hear that. 🙂

We'll be fixing this c:\ drive writing anomaly soon too.

Regards,
Chear Huat.

Chear Huat
SQA Analyst
DLS- Data Management
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 13 of 13
scottmoyse

chearhuat wrote:

Granting user ‘IIS AppPool\AutodeskTCPool’ full control to folder ‘c:\Autodesk\VaultCommon\Servers’:

1. Via Window Explorer, navigate to c:\Autodesk\VaultCommon\Servers\
  2. Create the folder, if need be.
  3. From the folder property dialog > Security tab, grant user ‘IIS AppPool\AutodeskTCPool’ the full control to the folder.

@chearhuat IIS AppPool\AutodeskTCPool can't be found when trying to add the user to that folders security permissions on the server. The server happens to be a Domain Controller as well (Not ideal, I know). How do you add this user, which doesn't appear to be a normal user?

This issue is occuring on a Vault Pro 2015 Thin Client. So I assume it wasn't fixed in time for that release? Was it fixed in time for Vault Pro 2016?

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report