Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault 2012: Copy Design Error - Value cannot be null.

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
karthur1
1174 Views, 8 Replies

Vault 2012: Copy Design Error - Value cannot be null.

Been running Vault 2011 for over a year on this one standalone single user machine. The vault is local.  Yesterday I installed Vault 2012 and today I tried to do a copy design of a idw file that has two parts in it.  When I got the names the way I wanted, and clicked ok.... I am greeted with this error "Value cannot be null. Parameter name:value."Copy_Design_Error.png

I searched and it seems to be a permissions problem... (funny I didnt have a permission problem in Vault 2011).  Anyway, thought I would play along, so I added a autodeskvault user and gave them full rights on the drive.  This computer has a single drive, soley dedicated to the vault filestore.

2011-06-09_1943.png

Still no joy.... same error message when I do a copy design.  Trying a reboot and see if that will help.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
karthur1
in reply to: karthur1

I also tried to copy design other idw's and a few other iam's.... same error.

I also tried opening the idw, checking everything out, saving and checking back in, then doing a copy design.  That did not work either, still get the same error.

Message 3 of 9
yuhui.zhang

Thank you for reporting this. I didn't see this error before. My recommendation is to log a support case as it would be specific dataset related.

Thanks,

Fay Zhang
Software QA Engineer
Data Management
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help Wiki!

Message 4 of 9
karthur1
in reply to: yuhui.zhang

dont understand this at all....didnt have any problems with vault 2011.  This is the first time I have EVER seen this message.  Been using Vault for probably 5+yrs.

Message 5 of 9
nijpels

Hi Karthur1,

I've also have a tread conserning the same error:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Vault/Vault-2012-Copy-Design-error-Value-cannot-be-null-Param...

I've done exactly the same, also using Vault for about 5 years, al updates went well, no problems.

Just now the update from 2011 to 2012 and encountered the same problems you have, and we're not the only one's.

But the strange thing is that only some have problems, at others (I personaly know) totaly no problems at all.

Is there something that went wrong with the installation of Vault 2012 Server at our installations, something we haven't think of? My installation is on a MS 2003 server, had to update SQL from 2005 to 2008, further just like you, 1 disk for the Vault.

I even completly reinstalled the Vault 2012 server, with no better result. I'm now considering to de-install it completly (after backing up again) clean the installation files, and re-install, to see if that helps. At the moment I do not know what else to do.

I've subsciption, so I also have contact with my supplier, they are also looking into it.

Hope there's a solution somewhere.

Thimo Nijpels
Comus Technology BV
Netherlands
http://www.dry-reeds.com
Message 6 of 9
r.smith1
in reply to: nijpels

Would you please send a screen capture of your Administration>Vault Settings>Define Working Folder dialog please?

Ron Smith
New Product Introduction Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 9
r.smith1
in reply to: r.smith1

Below is a recommended configurtion for setting up defined working folders.  We have discovered that having the working folder set to C:\ is the issue at this time.  Please set up a workking folder structure similar to the below link along with a new IPJ, restart Vault Explorer and test. 

http://underthehood-autodesk.typepad.com/.services/blog/6a012877799c1c970c0120a8774ea8970b/search?fi...

Ron Smith
New Product Introduction Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 9
karthur1
in reply to: r.smith1

Ron,

Created a c:\Work folder on HD and moved my \Designs folder to it.  Then I changed the working folder to Vaiult to $\Work.

Copy Design works now.  Here is the screen capture that you wanted.

Thanks

Working_Folder_Location.png

Message 9 of 9
yuhui.zhang

For your reference, hotfix for the issue is available at http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=17235740&linkID=9261341. You will be able to set working folder to root folder directory without error.

Fay Zhang
Software QA Engineer
Data Management
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help Wiki!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report